girlfriends in the shop

Mqutkingdom

So I don't have a girlfriend who wanders into the shop, but since I have a garage shop and love the cool air of winter (we have that for 3 days in early January...), my door is always open. Never ceases to amaze me how many neighbors just walk right up and start talking even though the table saw and DC and radio are all drowning them out. Then they look annoyed that I complete the cut before engaging in their question: "whatcya doing?" I'm always tempted to answer "revisiting the evolutionary ladder, you?"

When I used to stream from my shop, even a couple viewers chimed back in chat to say I had annoying neighbors :blink:

Maybe with all of that power tool noise, you are the annoying neighbor? I didn't think so! :)

It's all good I just don't want to look like stupid or anything like that and I feel your pain paul as soon as my tools at home start up it's like a party invite all the people come out and they just don't shut up. In case you or any one doesn't know I use the agg workshop at school for the nicer projects that I'll be posting soon. And I use home tools for when I'm board or need to do some touch ups.

I would like the wife to come down to the shop for more than calling down to tell me it is time to wrap it up. Would be nice to have another person's opinion on a project before I go too far and make it too big. too wide, or too something. Unfortunately she can't stand the dust. She can deal for about 10 minutes max and then has to bail for the month. She has little to no desire for the process or to see the stages. She only desires the finished project.

LQQK (who would love more non-electronic distractions in my life)

I would like the wife to come down to the shop for more than calling down to tell me it is time to wrap it up. Would be nice to have another person's opinion on a project before I go too far and make it too big. too wide, or too something. Unfortunately she can't stand the dust. She can deal for about 10 minutes max and then has to bail for the month. She has little to no desire for the process or to see the stages. She only desires the finished project.

LQQK (who would love more non-electronic distractions in my life)

I'm lucky in that, Lord. Sylvia has no problem coming into the shop. I value her opinion, especially since, hopefully, in the future my clients will most likely be rich women.

I like it when my GF joins me in the shop. It's good company and then I don't have to choose between seeing her and getting my work done :P

It does help that she's also genuinely interested in what I'm doing, so I tend to talk through what I'm doing, which in turn helps me think things out so I don't miss anything. She knows not to disturb me when the power tools are going, so it all works out. Since my work actually encompasses a lot of mediums and disciplines, we're trying to figure out things she can do either on her own or to help out on the larger projects I'm doing.

She also makes a heck of a good camerawoman for the blogs I'm working on.

• Like 1

I am very fortunate. My wife likes good tools almost as much as I do. Often, if she sees a tool that she likes, she will say "do you have one of those?" If I do not have it, she will often encourage me to get it. Pretty cool, huh?

Another great talent she has is that she seems to sense that I have been working a long time and may be thirsty. I will hear her coming up the steps and (often) there will be a couple of frosty-cold long-necks in her hands. She will come in, ask if it's a good time and we will pull up a couple of stools ... right then and there.

She is always interested in what I am doing. A couple of frosty-tall-ones is the perfect accompaniment to that explanation.

My shop also has a kind of "confessional" characteristic to it. It seems that those that come to see me in the shop want to tell me their deepest secrets.

Of course, the introduction of alcohol also means that I am probably done with power tools for the day (or at least for a while).

Chester

My garage workshop is also my wife's laundry room, so I've got to keep enough room for her to do her thing or I'm going to work with stained shirts. No matter your situation I always think it's important to teach any visitors the importance of not entering a room when you hear a power tool on. Being startled is a good way to cause an accident. My wife waits till after the noise dies down then flicks the light so I'll know she's coming in.

Not to mention that if the tools were going they'd be entering a room with the wood chips flying and no eye, noise or dust protection on.

I try to keep the garage door down to muffle the noise since one neighbor asked if I had my own private saw mill in the garage. lol

I make no noise before 9:00am and no noise after 9:00pm. I think that's reasonable, don't you?

SQ

Definitely reasonable. I stop power tools by midnight on the weekends and 11 pm on the weeknights. Sometimes I'll sneak in one cut on the table saw later, but something short like a crosscut without the DC on. The problem is that I go to bed more or less around 5am so that's some hours I can't make good use of. As for before 9am? I have heard of hours before 9 am, but never experienced them. :D

When I am in my shop, I leave the garage door open. My wife and kids know the rules. If I am operating machinery, stand back, I'll eventually notice you. My wife doesn't come to the shop just to hang out. I do get her there occasionally to check the progress of a project. When she ask me to make her friends or family a quilt rack, a bowl or something else I get her involved. Believe it or not, she actually likes sanding and finishing. Bonus! The dust doesn't bother her as well as the spider webs. My two sons get involved every now and then too.

post-840-068211900 1284138622_thumb.jpg

When I am in my shop, I leave the garage door open. My wife and kids know the rules. If I am operating machinery, stand back, I'll eventually notice you. My wife doesn't come to the shop just to hang out. I do get her there occasionally to check the progress of a project. When she ask me to make her friends or family a quilt rack, a bowl or something else I get her involved. Believe it or not, she actually likes sanding and finishing. Bonus! The dust doesn't bother her as well as the spider webs. My two sons get involved every now and then too.

Lovely family and beautiful bowl! That is a mighty organized shop you have there.

SQ

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy having my fiance out with me while I'm working. She has an interest in refinishing and I'd really like to find a few projects for her in the future so we can work together more... LATER. Since she's pregnant I'd really rather she stay away from the fumes etc.

A guest Pastor at a church I used to go to a while back brought up an interesting point one day. He said it's been proven scientifically that if you put two people in a room to get to know one another, they will learn a LITTLE about each other by just sitting there talking. But, he said, if you also give them some paint and a couple of rollers and have them paint the room they're in, they'll learn A LOT more about each other by working together.

So hey, don't run her off! Give her some tools! :)

My wife does not often come out, however I wish she would more...It just means she likes you, so suck it up and welcome her...She is interested in you..now if you feel she is smothering you and can not be alone, that is a different problem.

Well said. My last ex (as in most recent and likely last) was like that.

From a safety point of view, is best if people walk in properly. Like Matt Vanderlist said yesterday, "stay out if you hear machines", "Come in if there is silence". I like bringing my wife in the shop, most of the times I just invite her because I am interested in sharing what is going on, just as much as I ask what is going on with her life. Also is good to involve her so when she complaints "why is it taking so long?", she will understand the thought process, the steps.

One of the main reasons I got into woodworking was to spend more time with my kids. With everything kids have to entertain them today it's hard to send much time with them without them looking at the clock to see when "family time" will be over so they can go back to having fun. I have 17 year old twins (boy and a girl), 12 year old son and a 9 year old daughter (then the doctor stepped in). I really in joy teaching them the little I have learned so far. The two oldest did projects for school last year and got 3rd and 6th at internationals.

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/janaes-candle-box/

http://thewoodwhisperer.com/jordans-benchtop-workbench/

This year will be their last year and the first year for the 12 year old. He is joining me this year at WIA and is over the moon about it.

My wife only come out to see what I am working on and ask me why I am working on shop upgrades instead of the project on her ever growing list. :lol: She is a great lady but she has watched way to many home decorating shows where they make a whole bedroom set with a lovely highboy in two hrs and help paint the room(with their shirt off). lol I can't compete with that speed or the abs.

post-1764-027583400 1285777835_thumb.jpg

post-1764-071018100 1285778807_thumb.jpg