Harbor Freight dust collector

jimmykx250

Looking for some opinions on the harbor freight 2hp dust collector. Honestly it's a motor and a bag not to complicated. Looking at this compaired to so many other's they look identical! My question is if anyone has one of these models can I buy a cartridge filter for the top like the dust devil and mount it with out problems fitting? Any input would be nice im close to pulling the trigger.

I am by no means an authority on dust collectors. I have only ever owned one. The Harbor Freight DC.

When I got it, it was on sale for $189 or something and I was also able to use the 20% off 1 item coupon. I think I paid $150 for it. I upgraded to a canister filter from Wynn Environmental for $106.

It is not as good as the name brand ones but, it works fairly well and is a pretty good price. There are some other upgrades you can do to it to boost performance as well. Do a search on the web for harbor freight dust collector upgrades and you will see information about the Thien Baffle (for example).

I actually think it is the same as some name brands; when I see some others up close, it is unmistakably this unit.

If you buy one, get the one with the product number ending 69. It is the newer version with a metal impeller, supposedly better motor, and some other things I can't recall. Metal impeller is the key. Not sure why there are 2 product numbers for one product (and they are different internally).

I also have the spun-bond cartridge on mine and love it. It is washable so when I accidentally overflow the collection bucket (no, I haven't made a cyclone bucket yet; shame on me)., it is really easy to hit it with a hand brush inside then the hose.

post-50-086528900 1284013232_thumb.jpg

I think it's a smokin' deal. If you really prefer another brand's "color", spray paint it :)

I actually think it is the same as some name brands; when I see some others up close, it is unmistakably this unit.

If you buy one, get the one with the product number ending 69. It is the newer version with a metal impeller, supposedly better motor, and some other things I can't recall. Metal impeller is the key. Not sure why there are 2 product numbers for one product (and they are different internally).

I also have the spun-bond cartridge on mine and love it. It is washable so when I accidentally overflow the collection bucket (no, I haven't made a cyclone bucket yet; shame on me)., it is really easy to hit it with a hand brush inside then the hose.

post-50-086528900 1284013232_thumb.jpg

I think it's a smokin' deal. If you really prefer another brand's "color", spray paint it :)

I have the harbor freight 2hp dust collector. I've never used another but I've seen the delta dust collector's in stores. If there is a significant difference between them other then color and what switch they used to turn it on and off, I did not see it.

Things may have changed since these measurements were taken, but the HF unit doesn't move as much air....IIRC, Bill Pentz measured the stock unit at ~ 400 CFM with 4" ducting and the stock bags. With larger ducting and a Wynne cannister filter it measured at closer to a respectable 800 CFM. Most brand name "2hp" DC units have a 12" impeller, while the original HF 2hp unit had a 10-3/4" impeller, the HF motor tested out at closer to 1-1/2hp, plus the motor can't be converted to 220v. Still a functional unit for the price, but there are (or were) some measurable differences between the HF and the Jet, Griz, Delta, Penn State, etc.

Paul-Marcel,

I have that same harbor freight dust collector. I have it connected to both my planer and tilting spindle sander. It works great and really picks up the planer shavings. I didn't realize I could get that spun bond cartridge for it. Where did you get the cartridge?

SQ

Here's the link to Wynn

Thanks, Pat! The one I got is the first one listed (35A100SBOL $150.00 each) since it is washable. I called Wynn and asked how to do periodic maintenance. The lady there said the best way is to blow the outside with max 50psi compressed air just to knock any build-up off. Otherwise, they are washable on the inside. Couple hose-n-dump cycles and it's good to go. Dries as you run it :)

Darn! I'm always late to the discussion! I have the latest HF DC, bought it with a coupon from Wood Magazine for $139. It is connected up to all my major tools in the shop, and I have installed a Thein baffled chip /dust bin psudo cyclone in line.

This combination works great, although I feel the standard filter bag does not allow for the best airflow. I've been looking at the Wynn filters, but still am on the fence as to which one to buy. At a difference of $15 to get almost 3 times the surface area from the NANO filter,won't that translate into a higher CFM? Thanks.