Thorsen house sideboard

Password is Taco

This is my reproduction of the Thorsen house sideboard. I made some alterations to the doors, which are solid wood in the original and placed glass instead.

Mahogany, ebony and walnut. breadboard construction on top. too many ebony plugs to speak of...in true G&G style, I did all the details on the back the same as the front. dovetailed drawers, top drawer has sliding small box inside (for silverware)

cabinets have wine glass racks and are lit with cabinet lights.

finished with one coat of dye for color matching, then washcoat of seal coat, followed by por-o-pac pore filler colored with artist's oils. finally 6 coats of arm-r-seal satin topcoat.

let me know what you think. honest opinions welcome!

post-7429-0-85742100-1354986903_thumb.jp

post-7429-0-69186100-1354986913_thumb.jp

post-7429-0-95060000-1354986921_thumb.jp

post-7429-0-88296100-1354986928_thumb.jp

post-7429-0-05929500-1354986938_thumb.jp

post-7429-0-18033900-1354986947_thumb.jp

post-7429-0-54827400-1354986955_thumb.jp

Thanks everyone. @ Flairwoodworks.....good eye! the legs do look figured in the photo, but it does not stand out that much without the flash from the camera. I did end up using a coat of semi gloss at the end which left it a bit too glossy for my taste as well. I have been considering knocking it down a bit.

Thanks again!

Fine attention to detail. Building a reproduction such as this must have been a tremendous learning experience. Did you pick up anything that you expect to see coming back in your original work?

Only tiny quip that jumps out at me in these pictures is the grain selection. Witness image #3: The ribbon stripe grain on the center stretcher would look happier if it was were picked up and continued by a ribbon stripe board on the neighboring stretcher...bonus points if they even came from the same board. Likewise, the flatsawn grain on the front of the top drawer could be better. Again, minor quips on an overall great build.

Excellent job on the craftsmanship! I've never used arm-r-seal, but with Waterlox, I always build using original (gloss). If I want less shine, make the final 1 or 2 coats satin (usually 50/50 mixture with original). Since you did 6 coats of satin I wonder if that clouded your finish some? Hard to tell from compressed web images.

Looks great!

• 3 weeks later...