Inlaid occasional table, Asian flavored

Eric.

• 1 month later...

I think it might look better if the edge profile on the top was on the underside rather than the top surface.  Everything below is lifting up but the large edge profile is fighting it.  Maybe the edge profile just isn't to my taste and my brain is making up stuff to justify it.  I'd be curious to see it flipped over anyway.

You know a coved profile underneath the top would add an uplifting appearance to the piece. It would also work well with the Asian style . The edge he used is a favorite of mine from a comfort point of view, much easier to lean on the table without a corner digging into your arm.

I detest furniture that is uncomfortable to use, sharp corners that dig at you, rough edges left underneath , when a few minutes with a bit of fine sandpaper will make it silky smooth.

I think it might look better if the edge profile on the top was on the underside rather than the top surface.  Everything below is lifting up but the large edge profile is fighting it.  Maybe the edge profile just isn't to my taste and my brain is making up stuff to justify it.  I'd be curious to see it flipped over anyway.

Little late for that since all the inlay is on the top.  :)   I did actually flip the top over before attaching it, and had a look at it that way just out of curiosity...it looked really goofy...not so much because of the profile being underneath, but the top looked too square, flat and unfriendly compared to the curviness of the rest of it.  It didn't work.

I did also play with adding a cove and a couple other profiles to the bottom (on the test board, obviously), and they all had the same result: an edge that looked far too thin. 

Anyway, I kind of enjoy the "sumo wrestler" look it has.  Thanks for the comments, though...I appreciate the honest feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Dang!!  That is one awesome inlay job.   Something I noticed when Mark did his inlay in the video... press in the piece and glue come up round the edges.  Then he sands and mixes the dust with the glue to fill in any gaps and it makes a perfect match.  What i know is... the Titebond 111  i used turns black when mixed with wood dust.  But since the edges were "burnt"  np.  still got a perfect match.   But when i did that on some fairly light wood, the gaps showed up like a sore thumb.   Mostly you see them if you are looking for them.  but a few are really big because i was still new to the process.  Taught me to be more careful.   But there will still be gaps.  You did a remarkable job!!