Holdfast

nateswoodworks

As i am about 3/4 of the way done with my Roubo its time to start looking at holdfasts. On my current bench I have an old Record holdfast (Veritas' holdfasts ancestor) and while it does get the job done it uses a metal insert with ridges instead of simply the wedging action of a 3/4" hole, i only have 2 of these said inserts. I was wondering if anyone has tried Woodcrafts holdfasts? I have heard a lot of good about Gramercy's holdfast but I honestly hate the looks of them. I know how the tool works is what really matters but I guess after many yrs as a metalworker the last thing I want is a length of rolled steel with a curve! I have heard several times that the Jorgenson holdfasts aren't that good, any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

the wood craft and gramercy holdfasts if you talking about the one you tap in look to be about the same.  i have to say i like these over the kind you screw or wedge in with a secondary piece of metal or wood mostly for cost but also they have been used for generations of wood workers and they still do exactly what you need and they prity much cant break.  the screw on ones you can break a thread or get it too tight or lose a piece. 

one thing i would sugest that i did was dip the hold down part of your hold down in the liquid rubber tool handle stuff that way it will help cushon the hard metal on the wood.

Grammercy

Like a bench chisel, it's amazing how so many can get something so simple so wrong.   Put them away when not in use, so you don't have to look at them.   :D  Grammercy holdfasts work GREAT...

Lie Nielsen has announced holdfasts, but I haven't heard if they're available yet, or how well they work.

Last time I checked, woodcraft was selling an oriental knockoff of the small Jorgensen. There's a reason these are cheap, they are cast, not forged and likely to break the first time you hit it with a hammer. The Jogensens don't get any respect, but I've been using them for several years now without a problem. The Gramercy's are an incredible deal.

Bob Lang

I bought the Woodcraft cast-iron holdfasts awhile ago.  When I went to use them they wouldn't grip, so I smacked them harder, then they snapped!  I wouldn't say I even hit them that hard.  I thought WTF, who would ever use holdfasts!  Then years later I tried Gramercy, and found out how holdfasts were suppose to work.  I love my Gramercy holdfasts, I have a couple pairs.

Mike

Well I will have to think about it a bit. I am planning on storing them in the front of the right leg (unless I wack my leg on them a few times) so I will see tham all the time. Dont get me wrong, I know it is how the tool works that counts but when it looks exactly like something you used to see all day every day at work it just looks ugly, please dont take offense those of you who have the Gramercy as I am not trying to be snoby or anything its just preference. I guess the other thing is I like the old school look and the Woodcraft as well as the LN have that but I really cant justify spending more than double for looks! I will probably buy the Gramercy and keep them out of sight when not in use, I would rather have what in my mind is ugly vs a paper wieght. Thanks for the input as well as the warning about the Woodcraft, I was hoping that since they were doing so many other things right that holdfasts may be next on the list-especially since they are quite a bit more than the Gramercy!

I was going to recomend Phil Koontz holdfast but when I was looking for his site to put a link here for you I found out he retired from making them. Its really to bad because they are a GREAT holdfast. Im really glad I got a pair of them last summer. not that you can get them but here is a review that the Schwarz did on them, if your curious. 

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/workbenches/schwarz-workbenches/improved-phil-koontz-holdfasts 

I was going to recomend Phil Koontz holdfast but when I was looking for his site to put a link here for you I found out he retired from making them. Its really to bad because they are a GREAT holdfast. Im really glad I got a pair of them last summer. not that you can get them but here is a review that the Schwarz did on them, if your curious. 

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/workbenches/schwarz-workbenches/improved-phil-koontz-holdfasts 

I had forgotten about him, thanks for rubbing it in

• 3 weeks later...