Wall-hanging Gun Rack

Hey gang --

I wanted to share some build pictures from my latest project, a
wall-hanging gun rack that I made for my father-in-law as a gift. The
construction is black walnut hardwood/ply, with spalted maple drawers
for accents.

I got the inspriation from a wall-hanging tool cabinet that was featured in Fine Woodworking recently:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworking-plans/article/house-your-tools-in-high-style.aspx

Dustin

01-2.jpg

10-2.jpg

12-2.jpg

15-2.jpg

28-2.jpg

If your father-in-law has any other sons-in-law, they now officially hate you.

This is beautiful. Hopefully, you left at least 1 more rifle slot than he has guns, so you also gift him with the need to buy another gun.  :D

I have one question about the design. What do you intend for him to place behind the glass? It's not long enough to store rifles, obviously, and I see no mounting locations for handguns.

Just wondering what you intended for that spot.

If your father-in-law has any other sons-in-law, they now officially hate you.

This is beautiful. Hopefully, you left at least 1 more rifle slot than he has guns, so you also gift him with the need to buy another gun.  :D

I have one question about the design. What do you intend for him to place behind the glass? It's not long enough to store rifles, obviously, and I see no mounting locations for handguns.

Just wondering what you intended for that spot.

That area is for hand guns. They will be mounted on dowel pegs, but I have not drilled any holes for the dowels yet because they will need to be spaced for the specific hand guns he has. Since he's in another state I'll have to do that at his house with a hand drill & forstner bit. I didn't want to take any chances without having the actual guns in front of me.

Dustin

Outstanding. My original thought was "that area needs dowels for handguns" and that's exactly what you had planned. Since he is in another state, you're exactly right to not try to do that work until you're on site.

If your father-in-law allows it (and some people understandably don't like pictures of their gun collections floating around the Internet) I'd love to see a picture once it's installed and fully stocked. I imagine it's going to look beautiful in place.

But my comment about other sons-in-law still stands.

• 5 weeks later...

Hey gang,

I delivered the gun rack to my father-in-law's house last weekend and installed it in his "safe room." He's a doomsday prepper type guy, and when he built his house he had a 8'x10' room built in the center of the house that is built to evidence room specs. Pretty cool, and very safe for the guns. Below are some pics of the rack hanging on the wall, above the floor-standing gun rack I made for him previously. Forgive the crappy cell phone pics!

70-1.jpg

71-1.jpg

Dustin