My wife's desk

Grantman

I have been promising my wife to build her a new desk for years.  Last summer, her sister told her she had to have a demilune element for the edge of her desk based on a hall table we have.  I was stumped.  After Thanksgiving I was watching The Highland Woodworker and Charles was interviewing Gary Rogowski and scrolling through his portfolio.  He had a neat table and I paused the video calling for my wife to take a look and see if that was what she (or rather her sister) was thinking of for the edge treatment.  Not only did she say 'yes,' she also said she liked the whole table and that's what I should make for her.  Design problem solved. 

Wanting to give Gary the courtesy of asking his permission to replicate his table, I wrote to him and he graciously complied.

The table is cherry with ebony inlay.  The top is 1 1/4" thick, the legs are 2" square (made from 10/4 stock), and the rest of the elements are all 1" thick. I overbuilt the frame just because I wanted to see if I could do sliding dovetails...and I did.  I'll update the post when I get a picture of the frame. 

I have four coats of Waterlox on the top and three on the frame with some dark brown paste wax on top of that.  I think I should have used my Micro Mesh pads to really smooth out the Waterlox but I can always do that later.   The only negative is that it still has that 'new finish' smell and my wife can't work at it yet.  We're still waiting for it to off gas.  Waterlox said to bring it outside and let it sit in the sun for an afternoon.

Overall, I am very happy with the result and my comfort level with inlays, my 62 low angle jack, and tightness of my mortises and tenons have increased. 

post-1908-0-44480400-1395869282_thumb.jp

post-1908-0-19825600-1395869288_thumb.jp

post-1908-0-50442800-1395869300_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Very nice indeed. The inlay adds a nice touch too. Fits in very well with the flooring. A few days and the smell will go away. Methinks you've done this kind of thing before, right?

John

Actually, no, not really.  I've made a bunch of stuff before but not of this caliber.