Lighting suggestions for 30x40 shop?

estesbubba

I got power connected to my new shop yesterday and have a 4 day weekend coming up so hopefully getting a lot done on the inside. I need to figure out my lighting soon so I can run the wires for it. Any suggestions for how many lights, what type of lights, and layout? Here is a rough idea of my shop layout, but I want consistent light throughout the shop, so it probably doesn't matter. Also, how many switches should I do even if all of them would run on one breaker?

ShopTop.png

Most importantly, and you probably know, but keep the lights on their own circuit. You can use more than one breaker for this of you want to, but I don't see an advantage.

Unless, you want to have the lights on two breakers just incase one pops for some reason. Just to be safe.

Are you planning on putting up a ceiling?  Are you planning to close up the walls?

The reason for the questions is that these things will effect your lighting as in how many, how far apart, etc.

When I did my recording studio, I had a lighting expert come in, evaluate the space, offer suggestions, and then of course, he offered to do the work.  I chose to do the work myself and save a bundle of money.  I think his services cost me about 100 bucks.

MARC!!!!!! PUT UP THE BAT SIGNAL AND RETRIEVE VIC......WE NEED'EM!!!  He is wayward...our little Tumbleworks buddy is out with those new friends updating status' and such.....I hope the Arizona sun hasn't fried him.  Y'all KNOW that place is too hot anyway.  It's even too hot for Zombies! Have you ever seen Zombies walking among the cacti? Nope....even the Zombies won't go there.

I'm thinking of going with 8 of these strips which are 8' HO with 4 lights. They put out 12,880 lumens which would put me at 94 lumens per sq/ft. With painted walls and ceiling I think that should be plenty bright. What do you guys think? Should I space them equally on all 4 sides or less gap by the walls?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-Tandem-4-Light-White-Fluorescent-Strip-Light-TUNS-2-32-MVOLT-1-4-GEBHL/202193181

Mike did you read the reviews on this light on the HD site?  Looks like you're in for a lot of frustration but if you can overcome the design issues and lack of instructions, it seems this will light your shop pretty well.  They do have a tec dept. that you can call from the first review.  Tec could also advise on spacing.  You've come this far and spent a lot of money, make sure you have more than enough lighting for the eyes that age and need a little more light.  Tyme's Dustless Shop is a two part video where a guy gives a tour of his shop.  It's somewhat of a big Laguna commercial but at the 3:05 mark of the first video, he discusses his lighting. He has researched it thoroughly and his idea of separate switches for the lights to work in a specific zone is a good idea.  Heck, the two videos are something anyone should watch who has a shop or is setting up a shop.  He has so completely thought through everything, anyone can get a ton of ideas for your own shop.  I watch them again and again for ideas.

I used 8 of the 4 lamp, 8' fixtures similar to the HD items you linked to.  My shop is 23' x 25' & the light is great.  The lamps are Philips TL950s, which have 5000K color temp & are very high CRI, higher than the TL850s.  The high CRI is important when it comes to choosing stain & paint colors.

To light a shop of your size to what I thing is an acceptable level, your'e going to need more than 1 circuit.  I've got all the fluorescents on 1 switch & 4 keyless fixtures on another.  It's also a garage & I don't want to have to turn the fluorescents on every time I go out there.

The fixtures themselves are cheaply made, but if you use all the screws to hold the ends together, then by the time they are installed on the ceiling they are just fine.  It is important to install wire guards though.  My ceiling is just under 10', but I manage to whack a fixture every year or 2 & they save me from a glass shower.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'm going to do 10 of the 8' fixtures instead of 8. I just hate to put them up, paint the walls and ceiling, then find out not enough light. If that happens then I'll have to climb in the rafters above the enclosed ceiling and change all the wires. I would rather have too much light than too little since I'm in my 40's.

Mike, there's something you may want to consider.  Have your lights on two switches.  Either have them by sides of the shop or have one switch controlling a light toward the back and one toward the front.  The thinking is if you want to go into the shop in the dark just to retrieve something, you don't have to fire up the entire shop of lights.  i have mine by sides and it's nice just to poke your head in and grab something and only turn on one side.

#2...when the first large power tool gets plugged in....that's the moment we all wait for....need a picture.

Tim I have 2 switches for the lights. That 12-2 wire is a pain to work with so I went with 2 boxes for more room. I also have had my new SawStop in the shop for about a month and use it to test each 220 outlet. I have yet to cut anything with it as I'm waiting for overhead lights to see well to make all the adjustments.

IMG_1568.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

IT IS OFFICIAL!!!  WE HAVE POWER TOOLS....IT....IS....A SHOP!!!!  Man it's coming along and looking good.  I'm with you on the 12/2.  It's a pain.  My mind often goes to '14/2 is nice to work with and is probably good enough for this or that but I'm chicken. I don't know loads very well so I over engineer and just let the correct sized breaker do it's thing.

Looks logical to me.

I have added infill and task lighting using those architects spring arm fixtures from IKEA with a exterior LED spotlight bulb. I had to replace a few springs cause the LED bulbs are heavy. They let me get bright light wherever I need it to see a cut line or a raking light to see sanding or finish flaws. You can mount the base for the fixture with the included clamp or screw it to a surface or wall.