Dresser, to match the rest of my bedroom!

RichardA

Well, I got a little more done.  Most of the internal construction is completed.  In all my measurements, surprisingly the worst out of shape anywhere within the case is no more than 1/16th !  How I got that lucky is beyond me!

In trying to keep the drawers all one continuous board, though split, I puled a "Freddie"....Measured once and cut twice!   Didn't work!!!  Now I have to re-mill another board.. PIA!

When that's done it'll be awhile before I get to actually making the drawers, The box jointing is going to take me a bit more time.. I just don't want to screw them up!

post-15288-0-34048000-1410702118_thumb.j

post-15288-0-08460700-1410702137_thumb.j

I constantly check parts for accuracy when batch cutting things like drawers. It can get boring and repetitive , that's when errors start to creep in. Out of square and slight variances in length will add up to a bad fitting drawer. I use calipers to make sure thicknesses of boards and box joint teeth are consistent.

Good luck!

I constantly check parts for accuracy when batch cutting things like drawers. It can get boring and repetitive , that's when errors start to creep in. Out of square and slight variances in length will add up to a bad fitting drawer. I use calipers to make sure thicknesses of boards and box joint teeth are consistent.

Good luck!

Thank's for the offering of luck.... But I'm not batching these drawers..... Gonna make each and everyone one at a time, I want this right!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a little catch up on the dresser build..  I did a little dry fitting prior to making the drawers.   Wouldn't you know it, I pulled a Freddie..[Measured once and screwed up, now I have to cut twice].   I did however get some time away from a whole lot of home stuff that had to be dealt with, and put together the drawer pulls, only needed 16 of them.  Made one blank of oak and walnut, cut out exactly 16 with 1/2" left over!  Hope I don't screw one of them up!  You can see where I pulled  that "Freddie"!

Gonna start on the box joints for the drawers in a day or so, even with a jig, it takes some trial and error to get it right.... Got my fingers crossed!

post-15288-0-56419700-1411675874_thumb.j

post-15288-0-86340200-1411675893_thumb.j

post-15288-0-80458200-1411675909_thumb.j

Really looking sharp Richard!

I would say attention to detail is the reason your measurements turned out well for you!

Yup, that's why one set of drawer front's aren't showing... I miscut one side, and I want to keep the grain pattern through both drawers, so I have to make a short road trip and get another piece.    I've tried to keep grain direction and pattern a focal point, even if I'm the only one that notices.

It's amazing how much life interferes with pleasure!   Managed to get a few drawer fronts box jointed, also still waiting for some more wood to come out of the kiln, should be ready this coming week.  I guess then I'll be starting on stopped dados and drawer bottoms. That's the second dry fit so far  several more to come.

post-15288-0-17424200-1412247615_thumb.j

post-15288-0-17576100-1412247676_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Bubba, my mouth's always full of something.  I'll die old but never hungry!  Have you started thinking about the finish yet?

The finish... Yeah, well it's gotta match the rest of the bedroom, so I'll do the same... golden pecan stain, a couple coats of Danish Oil, then several coats of matte poly.  It will get a lot of use so I need to protect it, especially the top and the drawer fronts!

Well, somehow I got delayed in working on this dresser, Dad blamed family, they just keep interfering with things that are less important than them!  Anyhow, I got a little time in the shop this weekend, and got all the dresser drawers cut and dry fitted, without the bottoms, but first I had something that had to be done first.   Do you know what these are?post-15288-0-68400500-1413752071_thumb.jpost-15288-0-40846100-1413752093_thumb.j

I don't know if you see what I see, But I see 40 stopped dados, to fit the bottoms in!   The problem as I see it is, My router is 1 1/2 hp and I'm going to have to remove 1/16th per pass to get to a 3/8th depth.... 6 passes per board times 40 boards equals a lot of work.    Got it done, now just squaring up the dado ends and making the bottoms, dry fitting, breaking it all down for the 6th time and sand for a day or two.   I'm getting old just thinking about it, Wait, I'm already old, so maybe with a little luck I'll get halfheimers and won't remember how much work I already have in this project, and what it's actually for.

post-15288-0-68400500-1413752071_thumb.j

post-15288-0-40846100-1413752093_thumb.j

• Like 1