Why this end grain cutting board is special

wouldwurker

It's been 10 months since I started woodworking, and one of the very first projects that I tried (and failed miserably) was an end grain cutting board. This was in January. I watched Marc's vid, gave it a shot, but simply didn't have the reps under my belt. It didn't work out well. In fact, it was terrible. It was also Red Oak and Poplar! :o.

What makes the board special for me, and is what I didn't realize until after it was complete, was that I put absolutely no active thought into it, be it the squaring, planing, cutting, gluing, clamping, sanding, finishing, ...whatever. What was a very complex endeavor in January, was now a 'quickie' that I started and finished while waiting for 3 coats of shallac to dry on a different project. (Granted, the lumber was from a kit, and didn't need heavy rough initial milling, but work is work).

I consider this a milestone as such and I'm a happy woodworker tonight.

This is also the first thing I've made that isn't a present for someone. This puppy is for me! Find me a Cornish hen and a miniature meat cleaver, I'm cooking with fire tonight!

00cced5277d837b59702ef27b0f2a08c.jpg

I do like the Watco butcher block 'oil and finish'. There's some sort of protectant in it besides wax and oil, and I think different from other butcher block oils I've seen. (Just like how "pure" Tung Oil has 10 versions out there.). Maybe it's a poly, not sure.

Plus, the idea of melting beeswax in a pot sounds miserable to me, plus, the wrath I'd get for ruining the cookware! :)

I do like the Watco butcher block 'oil and finish'. There's some sort of protectant in it besides wax and oil, and I think different from other butcher block oils I've seen. (Just like how "pure" Tung Oil has 10 versions out there.). Maybe it's a poly, not sure.

Plus, the idea of melting beeswax in a pot sounds miserable to me, plus, the wrath I'd get for ruining the cookware! :)

Once you melt the beeswax in a pot, it will be yours forever.

Besides, while the wax is melting, time to have a beverage!

• Like 1