Boxes

davewyo

Good looking work Dave! If you're into boxes, might try some books by Doug Stowe

His video on FWW 'basic box making' is a 10 part series. Worth the 4.99/month fee, even if you cancel after a month.

Neat to see his use his tablesaw for just about everything but sanding. I think it includes homemade leather and wooden hinges too.

Also, pretty boxes you got there.

• Like 1

His video on FWW 'basic box making' is a 10 part series. Worth the 4.99/month fee, even if you cancel after a month.

Neat to see his use his tablesaw for just about everything but sanding. I think it includes homemade leather and wooden hinges too.

Also, pretty boxes you got there.

Vinn, I bought his book and later bought a video, just to see the man in action. I didn't know he has a series. Thanks.

I built every box in the book, some I liked, a couple I didn't care for but built for the experience. He gives you details like Marc does. I liked the leather hinges, my wood hinges blew out. Maybe next time!

Thanks everyone.

Ya know, I took up boxes as a skill-building exercise and I enjoyed the heck out of it.

I have two weddings coming up in the next year and I hope to make a couple of presentable boxes as "gift-card boxes" to put on the gift table.

I had finished the blanket chest, then the bench (which were excellent introductions to M&T, Rabbets, Hinges, and Dadoes) so I moved to boxes as a great way to learn without a large investment in lumber.

All the time I want to build useful things while learning some skills (and getting the feel for grain continuity, over-all project execution, and some kind of fall-back finishing formula).

I haven't settled into a niche of woodworking interest or style, Eventually I think inlay or marquetry may be the destination, but meanwhile I need to learn how to competently build the "substrate" into which the inlay will reside.

For me that means working my way up to cabinets, furniture, and such (put together with keys, and splines, and dovetails, and miters, and all the various joints),

After a couple months of boxes I needed a change of scenery and started up on a "shaker-like" table as a TV stand.

I will definitely get back to boxes once I decide on a design. I'm thinking some draw-bored breadboards...

Thanks for the recommendation of Doug Stowe's work. I need some inspiration for box designs which are a step up from what I've been up to...you know curves and such instead of everything at right angles.

Dave

Mine come out of the box because they pre fill my insulin pump things and what is left over comes to me. So I have 4 partials rolling around the egg holders. So times they stay there for a couple months. He did ask for suggestions of boxes to make. I do like the hardwood block suggestion. I will post a picture when I get it done. I can also stick dates on the edge so i know which to use first. Reminds me of a test tube rack.