fun project at my day job. (pics)

tcarswell

We used to do a fair amount of these custom chase tops Kitchen hoods and copper work before the economy dumped. Now we do 80 percent heating and galvanized metal work. It's especially rare we do a top like this out of the heavy 20 oz copper I thought you guys might be interested . We're located in seaside California this unit is going on a house right on the golf course in pebble beach. This unit isn't done yet it's still getting some copper and lead trim.

post-16322-0-54799600-1417465398_thumb.j

• Like 1

Did ten years in exteriors. Started mostly in vinyl siding but was fortunate to get transferred to the "special projects" boss. Master at aluminum sheet forming. Proficient at stainless, copper and galvanized, though someone else did the welding for me. Window and door surrounds were bread and butter with copper roofing as icing. I was not the primary former as there was a dedicated roofing crew but we ended up as the secondary. I made lots of window boxes and custom flashings too. Now that I don't do as much of it in the winter, I look back with fondness. I am firmly in my second career as a teacher, returning to exteriors on breaks (read summer.)

Did ten years in exteriors. Started mostly in vinyl siding but was fortunate to get transferred to the "special projects" boss. Master at aluminum sheet forming. Proficient at stainless, copper and galvanized, though someone else did the welding for me. Window and door surrounds were bread and butter with copper roofing as icing. I was not the primary former as there was a dedicated roofing crew but we ended up as the secondary. I made lots of window boxes and custom flashings too. Now that I don't do as much of it in the winter, I look back with fondness. I am firmly in my second career as a teacher, returning to exteriors on breaks (read summer.)

Awesome man sounds like you've done a lot of this. We do hvac as well so this fabrication is a small portion of our business. We mainly cater to the people who don't want that 30 gauge powder coated seamless installed on their homes. We do a fair amount of it. I finished high school at 15 do go to work here and have been in the family business for 12 years. Should be running the place 50 50 with my brother in a year and a half when our father retires. (He's the most incredible craftsman sheet metal guy you could ever meet and a hell of a mentor)

• Like 2

I'd love to have those skills!!!!

The sheet metal side of this business is far and away my favorite part. Square to round adapters . Plenum transitions . Even metal roof flashings and crickets. With the way the industry is in our area we do a bit more heating which is fun too... usually. I had to crawl ducts under a house today with maybe 15 " clearance (not even close to the worst ive done )me and my helper were covered in black dust. While it isn't much fun it really doesn't bother me anymore .

I was in the sheet metal business for about 12 to 15 years. I was a sheet metal layout man and we built elevators and spouting for grain elevators around the world. 

I did hundreds of square to rounds and tapers and interlocking gates and  various Y connections in both square and round spouting. 

It was about the same things you are doing only much bigger and heaver. We built spouting for a grain exporting elevator in Louisiana that was 36" x 48" x 120" long one time. That will put an arm on you!

By the way, I LOVED THAT JOB but, the boss (owner) was a bit much for my mental health after awhile.  :)

Rog 

• Like 1

We used to do a fair amount of these custom chase tops Kitchen hoods and copper work before the economy dumped. Now we do 80 percent heating and galvanized metal work. It's especially rare we do a top like this out of the heavy 20 oz copper I thought you guys might be interested . We're located in seaside California this unit is going on a house right on the golf course in pebble beach. This unit isn't done yet it's still getting some copper and lead trim.

You need a fire protection system in that hood :rolleyes: