Marine Corps NCO Sword Display Plaque

wouldwurker

Great gift idea!

I suppose what wood you go with will depend on what colors the sword is. I looked up online and I see that some swords come with a scabbard some do not, some are white handled and some are black. You will likely want a wood that contrasts with your sword. If you do not mind staining the birch then you could use it regardless. Otherwise you will probably want a dark wood with a white sword, or a light colored wood like the birch with a dark sword. Just my thoughts.

If I were you I would want to darken up the wood a bit. I was thinking the sword would be displayed in the scabbard, but looking at their plaques it appears they display them out of the scabbard so I am guessing that is what you had in mind.

Looking at this page: http://www.marlowwhite.com/87-600.html?___SID=U

You can see the sword you purchased with a plaque that looks to be cherry (furthest to the left) and one that looks to be oak (one over from the cherry) with a walnut plaque in the middle without a sword displayed. My personal preference would be for the cherry or walnut over the oak. But the oak is going to be closest in color to your birch. I have never worked with birch so I don't know how well it takes stains, but if it stains well I would try that, and just try to darken it up a bit as compared to its natural color. Or just use walnut that you have lying around.

Either wood will look good. Some sort of oil to make the grain and figure pop, then a finish and it should look great.

You might want to glue up a blank and have it surfaced & ready to cut and shape before he gets there. That would save all the fun woodworking for father/ son time. You could have a bit set up to route a decorative edge . And if you have a keyhole bit set it up in a trim router and practice cutting keyholes in the back to hang it.

• 2 weeks later...