Growing appreciation for the block plane

Chuck Melton

I am still pretty new at woodworking. I've gotten to the point that I can know out simple projects pretty quickly but I still make more mistakes (learning opportunities) than I should.

I was making a recipe box for a Christmas present and I boogered up the panel for the lid while attempting to route out an ogee profile. My wife specified that the entire box had to be acacia (Australian blackwood in this case) and the piece I had bought didn't have quite enough to to produce a second clear panel. When attempting to work around a knot to replace the panel I had messed up, I blew out a big chunk of the panel.

I figured I would attempt planing down the roughed up ogee profile onto a bevel while I was CA gluing the replacement back together.

Long story short, I five minutes with my trusty LV block plane and the original panel was looking great. The humble block plane is cementing itself as my favorite tool.

What's yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be the outlier and say I have yet to meet a block plane I didn't dislike - Stanley, LN, Veritas, I've had a chance to try some of all of them, and I've always come always frustrated with the adjustment mechanisms.

My Narex bench chisels and Veritas router plane, on the other hand, are amazing. 

Edit: Reference TIOD's post below, I've never handled one with a lateral adjustment mechanism (Norris-style, or tap blade into place & then screw down) that didn't start shifting on me after a couple of cuts. The Vertias place with the Norris adjuster was actually worse, because I found it very sensitive and, given the small size of the plane, easy to accidentally tap with a clumsy finger, necessitating a stop to re-align the blade. I still have used block planes, but I'd much rather use a bench plane given a choice. 

I'll be the outlier and say I have yet to meet a block plane I didn't dislike - Stanley, LN, Veritas, i've had a chance to try some of all of them, and I've always come always frustrated with the adjustment mechanisms.

My Narex bench chisels and Veritas router plane, on the other hand, are amazing. 

All I can say is WOW!  Super handy tool so, there has to be something else going on there..

Tough question to answer.  When I need to rip a bunch of stock, my favorite tool is the table saw.  When I need to cut curves, the bandsaw.  When I need to make a board thinner, the planer.

But I think my favorite tool, in terms of pure enjoyment, is the rasp.  A nice hand stitched French rasp.  Nothing like a high-quality rasp and a piece of wood to make you feel like your feet are planted on the earth.  Woodworking boiled down to its purest essence.  Hand.  Tool.  Wood.  For better or worse.

my old Stanley low angle block plane doesn't even have a place in tool storage - because I use it all the time. it sits on the bench waiting to be used. i should have it attached to my arm. perhaps a little hand replacement surgery and all would be well. well at least in the shop - it would certainly freak my kid out, and, well the wife would just run screaming into the woods.

seriously though, yeah it's a really great tool. a nice sharp 1" chisel also gets lots of use, but the lights are always on.