Worst Monday ever!!!

Mzdadoc

So I get a text from my direct supervisor Sunday night saying don't miss Monday mornings phone conference. (That we never have)

I hear the roll call and it's only all of my friends that I've known for the past 18 years. We're a group of mechanical inspectors that got transferred over to a new division. We all have a combined total years with the co of over 250. We all have already had our salary's capped because we make more than our managers.

Then the meeting started with the president of this division letting us know we our all being let go. He then said watch our email for the times that HR will call us explaining how this affects each of us differently.

My call came a hour later letting me know me and one other friend of mine won't be let go but the other 7 will be.

Nothing like thinking you're fired and then getting a call a hour later saying you're not.

Just goes to show know matter how devoted you are to a co and how much of your life you give to it you can be disposed of at the drop of a hat........

I feel ya... We are going through a merger and I expect to part of a very similar scenario in the not too distant future... Glad you still are employed but sorry to hear about your friends.  Loyalty counts for very little when the bottom line is the driver.  Understand it but don't like it...

I've been on both sides of layoffs and neither side is pleasant. It sucks to lose your job but things usually work out better in the end. When you keep your job it's a relief but then you feel bad your co-workers were laid off plus more work for you. Like you said you wonder "am I next?". 

Sorry to hear about your friends losing their jobs, it's a terrible situation to be in.

My division has to cut people in the next couple of months. Their strategy is for the CIO to look over every position (300 positions) and find which are the most necessary and which positions provide the best value. So 300 people are all wondering if they are gonna get that call into the office to be let go. It's kind of a do your job and hope for the best at the moment.

The flood of emotions and blessings continue! I've talked to some of the guys and they are taking it really well considered. Then last night our house sold. 5 days on the market and done. Begs the question "What am I giving my money to a realtor for?" We move May 8th! I need a beer or however many comes in that big cardboard box!

Doc,

I am sure that the last 2 days have been an emotional roller coaster.  Hopefully, the roller coaster ride is over and your life can return to normal.

My only recommendation is that you should not feel guilty that you kept your job and several of your friends lost theirs.  It was a business decision, made by someone up the corporate ladder. You can empathize with their situation, and offer to support in  any way you can, but do not feel guilt.

Enjoy the "box" of beers, and get a good nights sleep.

Regards,

Randy

dba FtrPilot

My call came a hour later letting me know me and one other friend of mine won't be let go but the other 7 will be.

Nothing like thinking you're fired and then getting a call a hour later saying you're not.

Just goes to show know matter how devoted you are to a co and how much of your life you give to it you can be disposed of at the drop of a hat........

Sorry, man...   I really feel your pain. 

In 2008, I had to lay off my boss and 6 coworkers during a reorg.   "Lay off my boss" was not a typo.  All 7 of them are (still) my friends...