what wax do you use for your cutting boards etc ?

I just rounded out a group of a dozen or so end grain cutting boards and they are all oiled and looking great . Problem is with just Howards oil or mineral oil they go down hill appearance wise quickly. I've seen mtmwood and others use bee wax melted as sort of a protective top coat. I can't find that stuff anywhere. Anyone have a link ?

You can buy food grade beeswax on Amazon. You could probably source it locally too. Many farmers markets have apiaries or bee keepers selling honey and will sell wax. Or if someone there is selling handmade beeswax candles and/or homemade cosmetics they likely have a local source or will sell you the raw stuff.

Here's a link to the number 1 Amazon result. I haven't bought this in particular but it has good reviews. http://www.amazon.com/100%25-ORGANIC-Hand-Poured-Beeswax/dp/B00455IWK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429499805&sr=8-1&keywords=Beeswax

A co-worker of mine keeps bees as a hobby / side business. I bought some wax from him, and used a double boiler to make a beswax and mineral oil mixture that is working very well on my boards. Two parts oil to one part wax, by weight, not volume. It makes a hard paste wax. When applied to a board that is well oiled, but dry to touch, it forms a nice sealer coat that beads water. It is pretty hard, though, so a bit of elbow grease is required to rub it in and buff.

Remember to chant "wax on, wax off" while you do it.

If you do obtain beeswax directly from a bee keeper, you may want to melt it and strain it through a paint filter to remove any trash or bee parts.

Another source for pure bees wax is found in a hardware store.

It comes in a ring shape and is found in the plumbing department and is used for seating toilet stools. 

It may sound weird but, I keep a ring sitting on a shelf (covered of course) for lubricating screws and waxing joints on projects with moving parts.

And it is CHEAP too! :)

Rog

Another source for pure bees wax is found in a hardware store.

It comes in a ring shape and is found in the plumbing department and is used for seating toilet stools. 

It may sound weird but, I keep a ring sitting on a shelf (covered of course) for lubricating screws and waxing joints on projects with moving parts.

And it is CHEAP too! :)

Rog

Those are really beeswax?  I assumed they were parrafin based.  

You can buy food grade beeswax at a health food store. I warm mineral oil and keep it at a really low heat in a double boiler and add in chopped up pieces of beeswax and stir it up into a nice soft wax/oil blend. I apply it with gloves on and rub it into the board and leave it on over night, and then scrape the excess off with a plastic spatula like object, and then buff it with a soft lint free cloth.

Personally for cutting boards I just use mineral oil or one of the commercial cutting board oils (like Boos mystery oil).  I don't use any kind of varnish.  I know they say "food safe when cured" but I don't like the idea of ingesting tiny shards of plastic.   Wood workers fall into a trap with cutting boards.   We want to protect all of our hard work.  But cutting boards are a utility item meant to be used, abused and eventually replaced.   

While you can get bees wax toilet flange rings, most are petroleum based these days.

Well, the box that mine came in says "Standard Wax Ring" it is made by "GUNK" (?) part no G236D.

I've had it for a long time so, things may have changed (everything does) It is made in the U.S.A. and one end of the box it says "Will not dry out, harden or crack. Hygienic - will not support bacteria."

So I would recommend that you read the box (even the Spanish and French parts :) ) before purchase. :)

Rog

I use a mix of mineral oil and paraffin wax to finish boards. Paraffin is really easy to come buy, you can get it at Walmart or any decent craft store. It's food safe, cheap and tougher than beeswax.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/10420578?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=83&adid=22222222227017579373&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40886681792&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78817821752&veh=sem