Rogowski-ish Box

FlyinFish

I finally caved and dropped way too much money on some nice wireless noise cancelling headphones. One too many days of annoying co-workers babbling around my cube and people on a recent flight that somehow managed to talk so loud I could hear them over the engines and my music cranked up.

Well, they just came with a soft bag, and I figured a $250 pair of headphones deserve a decent box. I've been wanting to start making some boxes and I loved the Rogowski jewelry box so I figured I'd build something like that.

I went with 1/2" cherry, mostly because I just wanted to work with something new to me and it was small enough to not break the bank.

The stock was S2S, so I got to put my jig to use. Worked decent, but I think I'll re-build it bigger and better. I also got to put my "new" hand planes to use planing the bottom panel to thickness. I didn't do a slide in piece of ply, but rather cut rabbets around the bottom and popped in a bottom. 

1743472_10102157185923945_1977361831_n.j

11061287_10103201241568065_8098155697144

Here's the finished product. I used cheap-o hinges and didn't get them mounted quite right. I have some magnets on order for the lid and will clean up the hinge install when I put those in.

11692778_10103352513418065_7822026295953

You can see I didn't do the floating tenons for the lid. I also decided not to do the dowels or pegs. I tested one with some walnut, and it looked great, but I just wasn't motivated enough for this quick build and figured I'd save that for something nicer for the wife or something. 

11659216_10103352513617665_3691853260571

11222955_10103352513622655_1943606125233

It was a fun build that let me learn some new things and was nice to not have to take it too seriously. Finished with tung oil+poly+mineral spirits wiped on. Some blotching, but not too bad. Can't wait to do another one with a bit more patience and attention to detail.

OK, I'm in a similar boat about the noise cancelling headphones.  My office sits right next to a bank of A/C condensing units and I don't like to crank my music up so loud as to drown it out. 

How do you like the headphones?  Do they do a good job of blocking noise?  Would you buy them again?  What model did you get? 

I got the Sony noise cancelling and wireless ones. There's only one model with both those features. The wireless was a must have for me.

The noise cancelling works pretty well. It's by no means 100% sound proof, but it works best for constant, low frequency noises. I think the Bose ones have better cancelling, but I liked the fit of the Sonys more.

I'd definitely buy the same ones again. You can't go wrong with either one. Try them on and see what feels best.