Any powermatic 6" jointer owners?

rodger.

In another thread, I was going to buy an 8" dj20 used from a guy on kijiji. While I was sorting out borrowing a truck, the unit was sold and I became dissapointed. Also, in the meantime, I posted my 6" delta for sale. A guy came and bought it tonight, so now I have no jointer!

Looking at getting a 6" HH powermatic jointer (long tables). Anyone have one?

I really would like an 8", but I just don't think I can squeeze it in and have elbow room to work. I don't mind the 6" capacity so much, it's the short tables that really interfere with my work. This unit has long tables, a helical head (Byrd) and is very well reviewed online.

http://www.powermatic.com/us/en/p/54hh-jointer-1hp-1ph-115-230v/1791317K

Looking for opinions or experiences with powermatic, if anyone would like to share.

Hmm..

Set up was a breeze.  I've pushed 8' goods across it without issue but, that's the longest I've needed to push.  It's surprisingly quiet and the DC works better than I expected considering I'm running a small Grizzly DC unit. 

On the down side, I had issues with my local dealer on another PM product that I was going to purchase.  I called PM directly and, frankly, they didn't care.  So, I was not impressed with PM's customer service at all. 

• Like 1

I'm the same as mike. Bought the long bed 6" and then put the byrd head on it. No complaints at all, with the HH its quiet enough that I don't need to run ear pro. The jointed surface is smooth and takes just a little sanding to be finish ready.

Only thing I have trouble with is DC. For some reason, after I put the HH on it I get lots of chips coming out the front and back of the jointer where the beds come close to the head. Didn't have that with the straight knife head. Not sure if I didn't reinstall everything correctly or what, but its kind of a pita. I haven't heard others with this issue, so don't let mine sway you.

• Like 1

Let me know if you want any more specific info. I could also take a video for you of the tool in action and quality coming off the byrd head. Let me know, would love to help.

I would most likely be getting the 6" model, but a video demo would be great! I may be in Ottawa soon (kanada). I see you are in the Montreal area (not sure if you are in the actual city or just approximating your location) - anywhere close to the provincial border?

I would most likely be getting the 6" model, but a video demo would be great! I may be in Ottawa soon (kanada). I see you are in the Montreal area (not sure if you are in the actual city or just approximating your location) - anywhere close to the provincial border?

I am less than an hour from the border. Maybe 45-50mins if your on the 417. Less from the 401. Im about 20mins south/west of mtl. My wife is from Ottawa and that is where her family still is. You are more than welcome to come check out the machine if you would like. It would be cool to actually meet another real life woodworker. Only woodworkers i "know" are on this forum. Lol. It would be my pleasure. Or if you can't make it, i can make a video.

I am less than an hour from the border. Maybe 45-50mins if your on the 417. Less from the 401. Im about 20mins south/west of mtl. My wife is from Ottawa and that is where her family still is. You are more than welcome to come check out the machine if you would like. It would be cool to actually meet another real life woodworker. Only woodworkers i "know" are on this forum. Lol. It would be my pleasure. Or if you can't make it, i can make a video.

did you check to make sure you dust chute is clear.    If I don't run the DC, the chute will quickly get clogged and I have to remove that black shround on the side of the machine and clear it all out.    Then it does better.   DC is not perfect though.  sSome chips always eject behind the fence.  Maybe a stronger DC would help, mine is a 1hp wheel around unit. 

I haven't checked yet, but it's on my list of things to do.  I am leery that is the problem though, as I completely vacuumed everything out when I changed the head over and IIRC it was happening basically on the first cut.

And to the OP.  I know you have probably read a lot of people who say the HH on a jointer is pointless.  That may be true, but my experience is that the $ I paid for the head was well worth it and I would do it again if I had to.  Its much much quieter, which is almost the price of admission by itself.  The finished surface is better slightly by my estimation, but still needs work to get ready for finish.  The cherry on top is the ease of changing out blades...again, another thing that would be worth the price tag to me just by itself

• Like 1