Homemade tail vise

H4zM47

I know that there are dozens of work benches already on here, and mine isn't so unique in that regard. But I thought I would contribute a homemade tail vise I'm working on. I really like the look and function of the bench crafted tail vise, but just can't afford that much and the materials for the bench. So I thought I'd make my own. Still in the process of prototyping/building it, but so far I think it's going to work pretty well. Also seeing as I'm new member and this is my first post, I thought I'd say hi

post-18156-143828563345_thumb.jpeg

post-18156-143828564872_thumb.jpeg

post-18156-143828565745_thumb.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone Here's a real basic sketch of the assembly Tim. I'll put up a list of everything I used and where I got it when I'm all done. Which, since now that I posted it here, I might have some motivation to venture out into my oven of a workshop lol

d25f23bca60a8a07c4d51af53d3eee1b.jpg

It's threaded rod I picked up at the local big box hardware store. I'm kinda designing as I go, and trying to make it as simple and as inexpensive as possible. So far the only thing ib would do differently is go with 3/4 inch rod instead of 5/8. And I did that only because I wasn't sure if the center hub of the hand wheel had enough material to drill out for 3/4. Turns out I had plenty....

It looks like smooth rod stock in the first pic...

Would enjoy seeing it go together piece by piece with parts we can pick up locally. Then we could all build one and unite as we have with the Roubo.

I've got a running materials list for what I've used. I'll be sure to take pictures of all the steps in how I put it together too.

• Like 1