Hello from Colorado

Mike Rustenbach

Hello all!

I am new to the forums and am very new to woodworking. I just recently bought on craigslist a table saw, jointer, planer, drill press, bandsaw, router and clearvue dust collector. I think I have all the tools now to really dive into this hobby. I have been watching wood whisperer videos constantly but I think I have gotten in the paralysis by analysis cycle.

I have decided that my first project will be the cutting boards from episode 7 of the wood whisperer. I recently purchased about 30BF of Purple Heart and Hard Maple to do this. 

I have been spending all my time calibrating all my tools...especially the table saw, jointer and planer in order to be able to create dimensional lumber. I built a base/sled for my planer which removed all the snipe I was having from my Dewalt 735. I have heard lots of good things about this planer and am happy so far. My jointer is a 6" Central Machinery and I can already say that it is the limiting factor in my whole milling process since the infeed/outfeed tables aren't great and really hard to calibrate.

Anyways, if anyone has some advice for a new woodworker, I would love to hear it. And hope to talk to all you guys on the forums. Thanks!

As a fellow rookie, wtnhighlander is right.  And to what you are saying, making sawdust will help you get the precision alignments just right.  It seems things measured against a rule are different than things measured against what they produce, a combination of alignment and technique. 

Sometimes I am a consequentialist, but that's ok.

Welcome Mike.  Ross speaks wisely.  You have to get out there and do it.  I heard Marc say that if you run something through the jointer and planer and it looks good when you put a good square on it, then it is good.  We tend to get all crazy over a thou or two when we don't have to.  Just get out there and start wrecking some wood.

Edited by Chet K.