Snazzy Sculpted-Snail Bandsaw Box

Denette

Check it out!  The head, eyes, & drawer pulls are red oak, and the body is walnut.  It was the first time I've seriously tried to do a bandsaw box well, and I'm super happy with the results.  Near the end of the project I realized that I'd never be able to sand the insides of the drawers, so I decided to glue in velvet linings cut to fit the drawers.  Definitely the nicest snail I'll ever build.

• Like 1

b41c73dde092556f19f8125474d4e3c1.jpga21ac6bfb27bd2edd3aeadbb832dbb1d.jpg The link was to a Facebook video - sorry it didn't show up on mobile! This should work better. As for the creepy detective music, it sounded slow, low-pitched, and snail-y, I guess, haha! :) The snail design was a commissioned decision. My uncle wanted a snail-shaped box for my aunt for Christmas, so I got money and that was the extent of the specifications for the box. I decided to be a bit more representational than your typical silhouette bandsaw box, and went for a full 3D head on the snail. I did most of the sculpting with my bandsaw, tilting the work surface and cutting away the larger chunks. I then smoothed it out by putting my random orbital sander into a bench clamp and working the head on some 80-grit paper at full speed. Here's a picture of it earlier on: e19fdf125e4e1530309e934198c2c7ee.jpg And here's the roughly-sculpted head, after the bandsaw but before the sander: 0ac1e6b8ab836b5d61fbef546ed8df22.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2