router table dust collection

Dnorris1369

This is probably a dumb question but is it better to hook my router table up to a shop vac or the big dust collector.  The reason im asking is im still setting up shop and want to put router table near table saw and outfeed table.  It would be simple to hook up my pipe to the router table in this spot since i will have a drop coming down right beside it.  thanks guys

In the question of volume vs velocity, almost everyone chooses volume (DC). You'd be joining an extremely large group with your choice. Shouldn't be an issue, and any issues you might run into can be tweaked with design of the router box.

I use a vac with a separator, and have been mostly happy there. 

I use the DC on mine with the main 4" coming out of the box and a 2-1/2" at a wye to the fence port.  It works great except for pattern routing, but like Chet said, that's the nature of the beast.  If you find a solution for that problem let me know.

If you use your DC just be sure to move to 4" ports otherwise it kills the efficiency and it won't even work as well as a shop vac.  Also be sure that your DC box has enough airflow otherwise your workpiece will stick to the table whenever you're routing a groove or any other operation that completely covers the hole in the insert.

I use a shop vac via a dust deputy cyclone under the router table direct into the router port.

Above the table, if using the split fence, I use the dust collector reduced to (approx) 2.1/2" diameter to suit the take off port in the fence. In this situation I have both the shop vac and dust collector switched on.

The dust produced when routing is normally fine and the high velocity low volume shop vac gets most of it.

I may be out of the norm here but I go 4" to 2.5" at the fence. I'm sure it would be better with 4" all the way in but I've never actually needed more.  The fitting in the fence will pull dust from across the table in.  I don't have lower box collection so I just vacuume it once in a while.

I would run a DC with 4" and reduce it at the fence and below to 2 1/2". The reducer increases the velocity at the point of pickup. But like Eric said above, be sure to vent the bottom (if it's enclosed in a box) so that it gets adequate flow through it. Otherwise it will just choke the DC down.