What to do with live edge

William Ferullo

I have a beautiful piece of cherry with a live edge. It is air dried and I'm working on making a table out of it. My question is in regard to the bark on the edges. I have knocked off all the loose stuff, but there is still quite a bit on there. It is a crotch piece so there is a lot of contour to the piece, getting all the bark off would be very difficult getting into all those nooks and crannies. If I leave it on am I asking for trouble down the line, or if it seems very firm should I be OK? Thanks for any info. I could post a pic if that would be helpful

Bark is a crapshoot. I have left it on and had pieces come off later but the stuff like inside the crotch tended to stay put. Depending on the finish you use bark can be glued back on. I did a bunch of live edge walnut slab work and we removed the bark with a coarse wire wheel in a drill before flattening the slabs. After flattening and fabrication we sanded the live edge with sanding flap wheels 3 grits, 80,120, 150.

• Like 1

I just finished doing the same on my second piece of cherry. I took an old chisel and mallet and chiped at it right where it meets the sap wood. Took some doing but almost all came off. There were still a few dark areas that I removed as Wdwerker suggested. Ended up with this- 

image.jpg

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

beautiful piece of tree you have there coop, what are you making with them?

Thanks. It' some cherry remnants that I had left over and am making a small table for our computer and printer. I didn't have enough for all heart wood so glued 4 pieces together to kind of make it look like a slab. And Dave, jmo,but shed the growth before going to Florida, as Sam Elliot wouldn't be able to say he looks like you anymore?

1 hour ago, K Cooper said:

And Dave, jmo,but shed the growth before going to Florida, as Sam Elliot wouldn't be able to say he looks like you anymore?

i think i will coop, my son and his family are there now and he says it's 80 degrees there, plus it will make my wife VERY happy, and you know what that means!:o

• Like 1