Frame & Panel Bin

wnaziri

Looks great, man!  Nicest trash can I've ever seen, hands down.

I know it as anigre, otherwise known as "white mahogany," which is obviously pure marketing BS...we know better...has nothing to do with mahogany.  We have a pile of it at the yard that literally never sells.  Never.  But it has an appearance and texture very much like mahogany...only whiter.  I guess people just pass on it because of unfamiliarity.  Can't say I've ever been compelled to buy any either.  But it looks great in your project!

http://www.wood-database.com/anigre/

The anigre showed up in my order of lumber that was shipped to me from NY, many moons ago.  I would probably never actually choose it but it was included in my pile of lumber by mistake. 

Rough, old, weathered anigre lumber looks very much like oak. I believe I have about 200 BF of anigre instead of the white oak that I actually ordered.  A while back, I planed a piece of "white oak" but it looked very yellow.  I posted a question on WT asking for help in identifying the wood.  Which is when I discovered that I had in my possession a crapload of anigre.  Despite the error, I actually really like the appearance of the species but it sure wreaks havoc on blades. 

9 hours ago, Eric. said:

Looks great, man!  Nicest trash can I've ever seen, hands down.

I know it as anigre, otherwise known as "white mahogany," which is obviously pure marketing BS...we know better...has nothing to do with mahogany.  We have a pile of it at the yard that literally never sells.  Never.  But it has an appearance and texture very much like mahogany...only whiter.  I guess people just pass on it because of unfamiliarity.  Can't say I've ever been compelled to buy any either.  But it looks great in your project!

http://www.wood-database.com/anigre/

I worked on a series of homes for a builder who had front entry doors made out of "white mahogany." They were 40" wide monsters and were beautiful doors. You guessed it though, they stained them to a darker tone. All were under porches so no direct sun or beating rain. 

Love the trash can!

45 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Awesome trash bin. I disagree i think it's perfect for trash. Make the area you throw stuff away not seem so ugly.

I am glad someone else feels this way about something as homely as a trash bin.  

My wife and I have been looking to buy a trash can for our master bath for the past few months and we honestly could not find one that we liked.  Most are tacky and cheap looking pieces of crap.  After we both gave up looking for a suitable trash can, I resolved to solve the problem, woodworker way.  

• Like 1

Just now, wnaziri said:

I am glad someone else feels this way about something as homely as a trash bin.  

My wife and I have been looking to buy a trash can for our master bath for the past few months and we honestly could not find one that we liked.  Most are tacky and cheap looking pieces of crap.  After we both gave up looking for a suitable trash can, I resolved to solve the problem, woodworker way.  

If it looks nice your more likely to keep it clean too. My trash cans are usually the dirtiest area, it's where all the dirt goes after all.

3 minutes ago, gee-dub said:

Nicely done.  I am also a fan of "nice" trash bins.  Thanks for the wake-up on anigre; I like trying different materials that are not super obvious.  Having people guess what the materials are is kind of a game I play in my own little world.

I play a game where i tell them the name of the wood and then have them guess the region. A good one for the more scientifically minded is to trip them up with exotic hardwoods and ask them if it floats.