Wood Id

Unknown craftsman

Last week i went by peterman lumber to get some thing to work with over the weekend.

Feel free to guess what this is.

Heres about 40 inches off a 8 ft board.I had to flatten one side with my smoother my oliver could not tame the curl one this one.

I also brought home a nice piece of 8/4 cherry that i don't need.

DSC_1419.jpg

DSC_1418.jpg

• Like 1

That is an awesome board. I will have to look up this 'peterman' guy next time I need some lumber ;)

1 hour ago, Mike. said:

When you get a freak of nature board like that, the species is almost irrelevant because, like Jessica Alba, they ain't making any more of that.  

Probably the weirdest comment I've seen on here this week. Congrats, you've outdone yourself.

On 9/6/2016 at 10:54 PM, Aj3 said:

@Eric that's a good guess.Its quarter sawn white oak.

I wonder were the rest of the tree is.

My planer with a Bryd head almost tamed it but still had some tear back.

My new insets will be here Friday.

Aj

AJ, that's amazing. Are you SURE that's oak? I've never seen any oak with that strong a curl. Can you post an end grain shot?

@phinds sure I will get a pick of the end grain.

When I first saw it in the lumber rack with white oak I thought it was in the wrong pile.

But it passed the sniff test,I've been working with it this pass week I'm making a Dt box with horns.And it has a good strong white oak smell.

I can't wait to show off this box your heads gonna explode.:o

Just kidding but it is pretty cool.

Aj

I believe that it's white oak.  I've seen some pieces similar to that...never that heavy of curl, but with similar coloration and similar figure.  I buy it.

I can see rays on the long grain.  They're small but they're there.  That board isn't perfectly QS so they won't be huge.

16 minutes ago, Eric. said:

I believe that it's white oak.  I've seen some pieces similar to that...never that heavy of curl, but with similar coloration and similar figure.  I buy it.

I can see rays on the long grain.  They're small but they're there.  That board isn't perfectly QS so they won't be huge.

Good catch, Eric. I didn't magnify the long grain image and missed the flakes.