Finish in drawers

a1606myrsclm

I'm putting together a built-in for my bathroom, in will all be Baltic Birch. Upper cabinet is shelves and the lower is drawers. I was going to finish the inside of the drawers and the upper cabinet with shellac. The outside is a face frame and will be painted. But I've been hearing shellac might get sticky and not to use anything on the inside, any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of folks leave cabinet drawers unfinished, but my wife has problems with the dusty smell of raw wood. Sellac has been my go-to finish for interior parts, because it dries quickly and the smell isn't so offensive as poly. The only time I have seen shellac get "sticky" was when I used some that was well past its shelf life, and it took weeks to harden. Once cured, it was fine.

I too find that oil based finishes in enclosed areas leave more odor than I am OK with no matter how long it cures.  Shellac is a good choice when you want a surface you can clean.  In the bath you can find chemicals (alcohol) that will not play well with shellac and this may be why someone reported stickiness.

If you are storing a hairbrush, nail file, dental floss, a nose hair trimmer and so forth, shellac will give you a protective layer than can be wiped clean now and again.  If you will store nail polish remover and pump aerosol products that may contain alcohol I would switch to waterborne poly.

On the bathroom vanity I had about 36 hours to get finish on the drawers. I used Varathane Quick Dry Poly. There was no smell and each coat was dry to touch within 15 minutes and ready for the next coat within an hour. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Varathane-1-qt-Clear-Satin-Water-Based-Indoor-Polyurethane-200241H/100169146