Taper Files

BonPacific

So, I'm getting into handsaws a bit more, and I'm looking for sources of good taper files. Most seem kind of expensive ($7 for Nicholson) for a disposable/consumable tool. Does anyone have a favorite brand/supplier?

I've got a few in my cart at Harry Epstein, but at $2.50 and no name, I'm leary about the quality. I'll probably order them with some other stuff on the list.

I bought a few things from Epstein and  they sell good quality tools. Some are name brand and packaged as such some are factory 2nds which have cosmetic defects that shouldn't affect performance. They wipe the brand name off because the brand doesn't want to be associated with sub par quality. If it's $7 vs $2.50 you could get both with out breaking the bank and see if the H Epstein is worth it's salt. Just avoid expensive restaurants for a week and you'd be further ahead.

Chalk your files first and they load slower.  They have horribly extensive threads on this sort of thing over at Sawmill Creek... I use Nicholson because the local Ace carries them, but Bahco seems to be everyone's favorite right now.  Generally whatever Lee Valley is offering with their roll (and it changes from time to time as manufacturing locations change and quality changes) is regarded as good. 

3 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I bought a few things from Epstein and  they sell good quality tools. Some are name brand and packaged as such some are factory 2nds which have cosmetic defects that shouldn't affect performance. They wipe the brand name off because the brand doesn't want to be associated with sub par quality. If it's $7 vs $2.50 you could get both with out breaking the bank and see if the H Epstein is worth it's salt. Just avoid expensive restaurants for a week and you'd be further ahead.

I like Epstein, have a nice set of Made in USA drill bits from them, and I've got a de-branded PEC square in the cart with the files. Just wasn't sure what the files originally would have been.

3 hours ago, Gilgaron said:

Chalk your files first and they load slower.  They have horribly extensive threads on this sort of thing over at Sawmill Creek... I use Nicholson because the local Ace carries them, but Bahco seems to be everyone's favorite right now.  Generally whatever Lee Valley is offering with their roll (and it changes from time to time as manufacturing locations change and quality changes) is regarded as good. 

2 hours ago, Immortan D said:

I have several Bahco files and rasps and have no complains, but I never used high quality files or rasps, so I cannot compare.

Bahco seems to be out of stock in a lot of places. There's a few less-reputable sellers on Amazon. Do you buy through amazon or somewhere else? Lee Valley is out of the 11+ TPI files.

I've got a stack of old saws I inherited and want to restore, and they vary a lot in tooth count. I'll probably buy some Epsteins and see whatever Woodcraft has in stock when I stop by later today, if they don't look good I'll try and track down some Bahco's, along with chalk and a file card.

The file shouldn't really be considered a disposable item.  I have some of my Grandfathers files and have used them for years, and they still work fine. Just take care of them. About the only way I found to destroy them is by using a file to pry something-they do snap easily. 

I just bought a wide variety of antique handsaws, so I made it easy on myself and bought the complete set from Lee Valley.  I think they were like $45 or something.  Simple and worth it.  I come across old files all the time that work fine, but I just bought the set so I knew I would have the right sizes.