Summer Build

Charger

I hope Marc has the guts to use that on the Guild "sales page" as one of the endorsements, that would be hilarious!

Oh I'll do it. You know I will! :)

Based on the feedback I've gotten Charger, there aren't many building along. Or at least if they are, they aren't telling me about it. I think its just a very large project and a big commitment. Especially right in the middle of summer. Kids home from school......high temps and humidity....

The build-a-long concept is nice, and I will always make my videos so people can build along if they want to. But for these larger builds, I have to wonder how many people will really follow along. They certainly may go back and build one later, when the time is right......

I do expect our Fall project to have more participation. It will be much smaller and the weather will be nice.

Based on the feedback I've gotten Charger, there aren't many building along. Or at least if they are, they aren't telling me about it. I think its just a very large project and a big commitment. Especially right in the middle of summer. Kids home from school......high temps and humidity....

I do expect our Fall project to have more participation. It will be much smaller and the weather will be nice.

I had to read the last line twice ".. and the weather will be nice." Um, not really in Seattle, but it will be a good time to be in the shop. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I for one was specifically looking for a "summer build" since there aren't any other options over the summer in Seattle. Things kinda shut down here during nice weather (summer time here). So I'm building along and enjoying having the garage door open while I work. B)

PS. Did I mention it's really nice here? :P

Well It will be stained with Red Mahogany poly/stain mix. I need it to match a bed and Shaker Table that i have already built my daughter. Thx for the compliment, It's been fun and allot of work as well.

Drawers are next up as soon as I get to my wood supplier. As always, "Keep Makin That Saw Dust"

Lance

Based on the feedback I've gotten Charger, there aren't many building along. Or at least if they are, they aren't telling me about it.

So what about all those votes for this project? I don't remember what I voted for or even what the options were, but I do remember that the chest of drawers won the vote. I guess we just like to make Marc hop, or maybe Nicole voted 50 times because she wanted a new piece for the bedroom?

I think the vote really represented what people wanted to see me build, no so much what they wanted to build themselves, lol. Its all good though. I suspect the larger projects will always be difficult for people to commit to. Bottom line is the videos are there whenever they are ready to make the move. I can tell you from my experience so far, this is a solid design and I think people will really enjoy the process.

Oh I'll do it. You know I will! :)

The build-a-long concept is nice, and I will always make my videos so people can build along if they want to. But for these larger builds, I have to wonder how many people will really follow along. They certainly may go back and build one later, when the time is right......

I'm not building right now but have been planning for some time. I eagerly watch and save each vid. Have some 50 year old cherry and will start when the weather cools. My design is similar but I need a larger chest and mine will be a chest on chest (for a daughter. I plan on using the tapered legs and a modified taper for the top chest. I built a small chest as a test piece last spring and really learned a lot from the boo-boos. The vids have already answered many questions about why some of the stuff in my "practice" piece didn't do just right. Thanks for this complex project. Another strong reason to be a guild member. One of the best woodworking values on the web (except when we would donate a little so you could eat in the early days.

Marc, you get a lot of praise and justifiably so. Most of us, particularly if we started our own business on a hope and a prayer, appreciate your commitment, time and effort to do a great job on your mission. We all want to make as good a living as we can but you can really tell when someone has a passion for what they do and finances aren't there only motivator. Man, I love the Guild

Mike

Every time the vote comes up, I vote for the possible content more than what I personally want to build, unless I have time. I don't know how many of the Guild builds I will actually participate in, only because I want to design and build things unique to me. If the general build is something that Sylvia wants in the house, I will more than likely build along, but will probably change things up quite a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have finally done it. My Summer Build is finally all assembled and almost ready for stain. Man this has been a number of things but boring it wasn't.

Here are the latest pictures of it in all it's glory. I hope that it meets with everyone's approval, and if it doesn't oh well. All I can say try building it with your glasses off,if you wear them, or with glasses on covered in Vaseline. That's what I see everyday. Thanks ahead of time and

""Keep Makin That Sawdust.""

Lancepost-80-076342000 1283195917_thumb.jpg

See the rest of the pictures in my Gallery.

Well, I have finally done it. My Summer Build is finally all assembled and almost ready for stain. Man this has been a number of things but boring it wasn't.

Here are the latest pictures of it in all it's glory. I hope that it meets with everyone's approval, and if it doesn't oh well. All I can say try building it with your glasses off,if you wear them, or with glasses on covered in Vaseline. That's what I see everyday. Thanks ahead of time and

Atta boy, Lance! Nice job!

Looks nice Charger, I like how you used one board for the top two drawers. Pat

Your work is impressive enough to start, Lance, but factoring in your vision, it's amazing.

Now, tell us... are you gonna paint this green?! :P

(for people who haven't seen Lance stream, he had a couple commissions where beautiful wood had to be encased in green paint)

[No green paint for this one. It'll be purple instead.

""Joke""

This will be finished in Bombay Mahogany Poly / Stain to match the bed and Shaker Table I built for my daughter. I want ti thank everyone for the kudos on this build. It was for me the most time consuming and difficult build that I have ever attempted. Thanks again everyone. & ""Keep Makin That Sawdust"" Lance

• 2 months later...

Well here's an update on my Guild Build Chest of Drawers. After all this time I have finally applied the finish to it. The Stain is a Poly/Stain combo by Minwaxamd is Gloss Bombay Mahogany. The Drawer fronts were just Cleared with wipe on Poly by Minwax. All in all I think the contrast came out great. My daughter has seen pictures but has not seen it in person yet. I'll let you know what she thinks of it after she sees it..

post-80-0-86672400-1289776412_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-61291800-1289776744_thumb.jpg

post-80-0-87178300-1289776755_thumb.jpg

Well here's an update on my Guild Build Chest of Drawers. After all this time I have finally applied the finish to it. The Stain is a Poly/Stain combo by Minwaxamd is Gloss Bombay Mahogany. The Drawer fronts were just Cleared with wipe on Poly by Minwax. All in all I think the contrast came out great. My daughter has seen pictures but has not seen it in person yet. I'll let you know what she thinks of it after she sees it..

Wow!! I really like it! Lucky daughter! Looks really nice, Charger.

Marilyn