Delta 31-250 Drum Sander motor

Pwalter5110

I was wondering if electric motors are somewhat standardized? I have a delta drum sander (a complete piece of crap by the way) and it stalled out while running a piece of wood through it. When I reset the breaker built into the drum sander, the drive motor for the conveyor belt was making a terrible noise, and the conveyor belt doesn't turn. I looked for parts online, and the motor itself is more than I paid for the entire drum sander used. Plus I can't get myself to spend $350 of a machine that I hate as much as I do. 

With that being said, it does come in handy, especially when working with wood under 1/2" so it would be nice to keep around. But I was just wondering if another motor (less expensive) would work?

There should be a plate on the motor that tells you the electrical ratings as well as the spindle RPM. This should help you research motors for sale. Items that could potentially make more work for you are the shaft diameter and keyway presence. If your replacement is different you will have some cost in mounting a pulley to match the shaft of the motor. This could be simple or tricky depending on what you find.

Check to see if you have an electric motor rebuilder near you.  Surely you have more than one in Pittsburgh.  We have only one near here, and I completely trust his judgement.  You can get one rebuilt for a lot less than buying a new one usually, unless you need to replace the whole armature.  I'd take a rebuilt old Baldor motor over most of the new ones these days.

I googled "electric motor repair Pittsburgh" and there are a number of them.

Thanks guys. That's all great advice. On a side note, I was in the basement working on a cabinet for my bathroom that is being remodeled when I seen my sewage drain backing up. Tried to snake it out with not success, so I called a plumber who ended up telling me my entire front yard needs dug out to replace the pipe. 

With all that being said, once I am done breaking my back digging, I will be either calling grainer, or a repair place. Thanks again! I can always count on you guys for great information!

C Shaffer, that actually makes sense. What doesn't make sense, is that Delta would make a part that is made to easily break, to protect the rest of the motor, but doesn't sell the plastic gears that easily break. I have been reading a lot about people having this same problem. So far I haven't found a single fix for it.

The site Tom recommended would probably work but in a case like this, I'd just go to someone who knows.  Go to the nearest shop that repairs motors and there's probably a guy there who has dealt with things like this before and knows just where to go and what to ask for.  Maybe he marks it up a couple dollars but it's kind of like asking for directions...you'll probably save a lot of time and aggravation in the long run, researching, ordering the gears, returning, re-ordering, etc.  Just my .02

Tim

• 2 months later...

I don't know if this is a source that will help or not, but it looks promising.

http://www.rushgears.com/Tech_Tools/PartSearch8/partSearch.php?gearType=SPUR

I FINALLY got a chance to take a better look at the gear that is stripped out. I realized the smaller gear is pressed into the larger gear. The larger gear is plastic, while the smaller gear is actually metal. I also measured the the gear. The diameter is .350 inches and the length is .460 inches for the smaller gear that is stripped out. It has 9 teeth, and the teeth aren't angled. 

The problem I have now is finding a matching gear. I don't know the gear pitch. Anymore help would be greatly appreciated.

My 20 year old Delta power feeder was made in Italy for Delta, so who knows where the sanders were built.

Drum sanders are a bit tricky to run. Keep the bite you take off pretty light, watch the speed on harder woods like maple, and keep the sandpaper clean with a crepe rubber block. A warped board can slip and create burn marks in a split second so I keep downward and forward pressure with my hands at all times.