Dumping my table saw...maybe

woodhack

OK, after an unfortunate moving accident, my table saw is now inoperable. After receiving my insurance check I'm trying to figure out whether I should buy a new one or invest in a Festool MFT. To tell you the truth the only thing I really used my TS for was making rabbets and dadoes and occasionally sweetening the edge of plywood after I broke it down with the TS-55. I figure if I start buying high quality blades for the TS-55 I won't have the slight tear-out problem I get now. Now that I think about it I do occasionally rip boards with the TS but I figure I could start doing that just as easily with the Festool.

So, opinions please table saw or MFT. Thanks!

I don't have a tracksaw, so I haven't tried one for rip cuts and so on.  That said, I use my table saw a lot.  I am wondering if you would start to miss it when want to cut 2" wide, or narrower, boards.  With push sticks, it is safe and easy to do on a table saw.  I would wonder if the track saw would be able to handle those narrow boards well.

I would say that you could but I honestly like having the ability to use both. The table saw is just too darn convenient for rip cuts, dados and whenever I have to batch out a lot of the same size pieces. I do use the MFT/3 a bit too but more as a work surface then a cutting surface. Not sure what your budget is but you could consider getting the MFT/3 and a smaller 1.75 HP contractor or hybrid saw, that is what I have. 

+1 James - it would be life on another planet without a Table saw. Just throw my sled on it and make any number of cuts. Batching with a track saw...no. Like others have said, we've spent many Wood Talk Congressional sessions batting this around. BESIDES...where would you do your glue ups??? :P

OK, after an unfortunate moving accident, my table saw is now inoperable. After receiving my insurance check I'm trying to figure out whether I should buy a new one or invest in a Festool MFT. To tell you the truth the only thing I really used my TS for was making rabbets and dadoes and occasionally sweetening the edge of plywood after I broke it down with the TS-55.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like you're almost there and, if you're seriously asking the question, I think you should go for it.  That said, here's a few questions that jump to mind:

• What's the next project you have in the lineup and do you need a table saw for it?  What projects would you like to see in the lineup and do you need a table saw for them?
  • Do you want to make a major change to your workflow right now?  (And, short of moving to a new shop, ditching the TS is perhaps the biggest change you can make!)  During the adjustment period after you swear off the TS, can you beg/borrow access to one just in case you get stranded in the middle of a project?
  • If you don't have a TS, how do you intend to make rabbets?  With a router?  How big is your router fleet and how much mileage do you typically get with a rabbeting bit?
  • How about joinery?  When I was considering ditching my TS, tenons turned out to be the major sticking point for me.
  • How about small pieces?  As Tim says, I couldn't imagine life without my crosscut sled.
  • As James says, can you do both and get an inexpensive TS and the MFT?  Table saws, unlike band saws, can go fairly far down the price curve and still be respectable.  If, after time, it then turns out that you really do want to ditch the TS, you can sell it with a clear conscience.

It's all about personal workflow...

I do a lot more than crosscut and rip on my table saw.  For example:

- Tenons

- Tapered legs

- Dovetail tail boards

- Splines

- Dados, grooves, & rabbets

- Cove moldings

- Mitered box batches

All of these things can be done using other tools, but I like doing them in my table saw the best, especially if I need more than one copy of a part.  Sleds aren't just for crosscutting.  With just a few scrap blocks and screws, and a few minutes, you can have instant appliances to do all of the above, and more. 

A friend of mine doesn't have a table saw; he has an LT-14SUV bandsaw and a TS-55/MFT pair.  He builds a lot of everything.  He has no space for a table saw.  While the LT-14SUV is a new upgrade to a previously not-so-great bandsaw, he's used this combo for probably a decade as he originally started on the ATF-55.  So you can do it, no doubt about it.  In fact he made a 12-sided tapered column to act as an umbrella stand.  There had to be some genius in clamping to pull that off (compound angles were cut exclusively with the TS-55).

Thanks for the responses guys. I really appreciate it. Here are some answers to your questions.

While moving my saw from a truck the cable for the cherry picker snapped and my saw fell from a height of about 6 feet. It landed on its side and actually cracked the trunion on impact. Fortunately the guy had insurance.

My original thought was similar to many other posters in that I was going to get the MFT and a smaller footprint table saw, probably the Jet. However, I have a 7 year old son who is VERY interested in helping me when I'm making stuff in the garage so the boss has insisted that if I buy another table saw it's a SawStop or nothing. (oh, the power of chopped off fingers in advertising). Actually, I can't argue with her logic, I just don't want to spend that much extra for the SawStop. At least not right now.

In response to Cessna Pilot Barry, I've discovered the joy of loose tenon joinery, specifically the Festool Domino. I have a kick-ass bandsaw that I practically stole from a fellow poster on this thread. (Thanks again P-M!) with that I'm able to do every other task with that baby and a router. The only thing that won't be convenient is repetitive rip cuts.

Thanks again for the input, everyone. I'm going to give the MFT a shot and if I find I'm really missing a table saw, I'll know what to save up for.