Norm making hand cut dovetails?

TerryMcK

Almost !! 

A router is used to cut out the waste. Check out the latest video for this week (Starting Aug 5th 2013) on the NYW website for him making French Side Table #0312.

When he makes the drawer he says he is going to make the dovertails by hand. I nearly fell off my chair in surprise :P  - until the router came out! Then I was calmed by the noise of humming motors :)

I think it's something that appeals to us before we get into woodworking. They have a pretty name, and look nice. I suppose I like them because they are not mortice and tenons. I'm surrounded every day by stacks of mortice & tenons (not cabinet grade in the finish though) so the DTs offer a nice contrast.

So I was just wondering did the New Yankee Workshop, with Norm Abraum air in the UK? I loved that show I miss old Normie he doesn't even do that much on TOH anymore

It's on a channel called Quest that is part of Discovery Channel aired every day. It's on free to air TV (not cable or satellite or under subscription) just 10 years late. Better late than never though. They are showing it back to back with This Old House - two episodes of each - 4 in total with Norm.

I watch the streamed stuff on the newyankee website too.

Indeed.  He even used a hand saw in that same episode.  Watching this particular episode, I took a few things away, particularly how some "best practice" details of our craft have evolved just in the ten years since that episode aired.

• He didn't use biscuits to glue up the top, citing that there was no need for the extra strength.  Biscuits add nearly nothing in terms of strength but are a godsend for aligning boards in a panel.
  • Perhaps Norm was being too faithful to the overlap drawer front in the antique.  He wasted a chance to have continuous grain across the front apron and drawer front.
  • I felt sorry for him watching him waste out between the tails using nothing but a chisel.  There was a fret saw just sitting there on the bench behind him.
  • His dovetails are gappier than mine!

And don't we all wish we had a TimeSaver in our shop!