Bow Fronted Wall Cabinet...WIP

woodbloke

Some turn-of-the-previous-century British texts also refer to them as "hand screws".  For the record, when we colonials say "cramps", this is what we mean:

Cramps are neural sensations caused by muscle contraction or overshortening. Common causes of skeletal muscle cramps may include muscle fatigue, low sodium, low potassium, and/or low magnesium. Smooth muscle cramps may be due to menstruation or gastroenteritis.

The cabinet has now been completed and a few pics to show the finished job.  Firstly and overall shot with the door closed, showing the tiny Indian Ebony pull mortised into the side:

DSC_0004_zps086abe8e.jpg

...and now with the rear panel.

DSC_0001_zps4237cfb0.jpg

Door open, showing two shelves, one fixed, the other moveable, with two small drawers having turned pulls in Indian Ebony.

DSC_0001_zpsffcd7b58.jpg

Drawer detail...

DSC_0007_zps9b9ddc2d.jpg

and dovetailed corners:

DSC_0011_zps9790d002.jpg

Comments welcome - Rob

• Like 2

Beautiful piece!  Super clean lines!

Have to admit it would have been nice to see the drawers dovetailed. 

Trying to make it out in the picture, but I see the faint outline of half blinds as if he masked the edge and finished over them.  Probably just my eyes playing tricks on me.

The front of that cabinet is a feast!

Beautiful piece!  Super clean lines!

Have to admit it would have been nice to see the drawers dovetailed. 

They are...not quite apparent from the pic though.  Three half-lapped dovetails and as RobH has correctly surmised, masked at the edge for polishing.  Drawer bottoms in Cedar of Lebanon - Rob

Great job Rob!!! The piece is beautiful. How about a shot with it hung and with some handplanes in it ;-)

Trying to make it out in the picture, but I see the faint outline of half blinds as if he masked the edge and finished over them.  Probably just my eyes playing tricks on me.

The front of that cabinet is a feast!

It also looks like the grain wraps around the corner of that drawer!

One thing I should point out about this job in case you haven't already spotted it.  On the inside of the door, top left hand corner there's a lighter triangle of wood.  This is a slither glued on from the opposite side (so no more than 15mm away) as it was apparent when I was planing the concave side of the door that I wasn't going to have enough material to get out the shape.  The grain matches on the infilled slip, but the colour (surprisingly) doesn't :angry: and I'm hoping that over time the two will blend together - Rob

Beautiful work Rob. I also like the 'retro' arrows you use to highlight certain points - who needs photoshop? B) Could you explain the finish you used please?

John

The finish is Fiddes Satin Hardwax Oil...a cross between a traditional oil and varnish, followed by a good coat of wax.  Not as good as my favourite which is matt Osmo Pol-X, not sure if you can get this in the US.  Glad you like the arrows...it's a useful technique to highlight certain features that otherwise might be lost in the pic - Rob

The finish is Fiddes Satin Hardwax Oil...a cross between a traditional oil and varnish, followed by a good coat of wax.  Not as good as my favourite which is matt Osmo Pol-X, not sure if you can get this in the US.  Glad you like the arrows...it's a useful technique to highlight certain features that otherwise might be lost in the pic - Rob

Thank you for that. I've used Osmo Hartwachs-Öl which I can get in Germany - I live in Italy. I think (judging from the reference numbers) that this is the same as Osmo Polyx, which seems to be the UK/English name? It seems to be available on Amazon in the US.

Expensive, but a little goes a long, long way. I haven't used it on large pieces yet, just small things, like boxes. I use a fingernail brush to rub it into the wood hard - two sparingly thin coats. It certainly seems to be tough enough if it's used for floors, though I haven't been using it for very long, so I have no experience as such. I must say though that it's the fastest finish I've used to date - two coats 24 hours apart and you're done.

I haven't used wax afterwards though - is there any particular reason you prefer a 'good coat' of wax as well?

John

Osmo Poly-X (matt) is the best finish I've used by far.  All my stuff (apart from this cabinet) have been finished with the stuff and it goes on well...two very thin brush coats are all that's needed, light de-nib with worn 320g paper between them and let each dry for a min of eight hours (or overnight) and it's as tough as old boots.  Don't however, make the mistake of putting on a thick, gloopy coat as it then becomes very hard work to polish afterwards.  I use a coat of wax over the top (applied with 0000 wire wool) just to de-nib the final coat and give a slight lustre at the same time once it's polished with soft cloth or duster.  The wax I use is Alna Teak Wax which is very soft and no longer in production...I bought three tins in 1979 and have still got one left! - Rob

This is a fantastic Krenovian cabinet and I enjoyed the journal, Rob.  I LOVE the grain on the front, the way it starts in one corner and bursts out into the rest of the door.  I think the Master would approve as well.  A great piece.

But I have to say, like Graham, I'm getting a bit cream-crackered handing out compliments to you what seems every week.  You're making the rest of us look bad, so you best ease off the gas a bit yo!  ("yo" is American for "or else I'm gonna break out a can o' whoop-ass on yo ass!") :D

• Like 1

This is a fantastic Krenovian cabinet and I enjoyed the journal, Rob.  I LOVE the grain on the front, the way it starts in one corner and bursts out into the rest of the door.  I think the Master would approve as well.  A great piece.

But I have to say, like Graham, I'm getting a bit cream-crackered handing out compliments to you what seems every week.  You're making the rest of us look bad, so you best ease off the gas a bit yo!  ("yo" is American for "or else I'm gonna break out a can o' whoop-ass on yo ass!") :D

He's back! I've missed these posts  :). Rob is a cabinet making machine, very pleased to hear others using and reaping the benefits of hardwax oil.

Now I've retired I'm finding that the throughput of jobs is getting quicker so I'm glad you guys across 'the big wet' like my efforts.  The next piece is a replacement stand for a cabinet finished a while ago and after that it'll be a large cabinet on eight legs, made in Elm...I do however, have a fantastic piece of Turkish Walnut (originally destined for a London gun maker) that has 'box' writ big all over it.  Intrigued though by a ''can o'whoop-ass on yo ass!" :D   Semantic enlightenment required! - Rob