New Shop Stove

..Kev

As many of you know, I'm a big fan of pellet stoves.  I have them in my house, shop, and even my hunting tent.

Well, here's the newest addition to my shop to replace the worn out 40k BTU stove that was there previously..

9tdr.jpg

50k BTU - It's currently 38 degrees F outside and my shop is a comfortable 70.

• Like 2

Nice, what does it use for make up air? I have a conventional type wood stove and it drys out the lumber something terrible. Gives a new meaning to wood movement. 

It really depends on your local codes as to what is "required".  They all have the ability to pull fresh air from outside into the stove.  I have never had a need for that where I live but, may be an option or "requirement" where you live.   I sometimes use a pot of water on the top to keep a little moisture in the air.

We used wood for years as well.  The heat is very similar to wood but, the cost is considerably less.  Our house burns about 2k pounds per year which costs us about 235 bucks.  Wood locally is running 180 per cord and I was going thru about 5 cords a year.

I like it.  We heated our house for over 20 years with wood, but converted to Propane a year before gas prices skyrocketed.  My wife won't go back to wood.  We developed a system to potty train our puppies to wood stove pellets, starting when they are three weeks old.

That's too bad.  When I was young we had a small ranch house without a furnace and had to rely on the medium-small woodstove in the center of the house.  We lived on 40 acres, all but maybe 1 was heavily wooded.  Wood heat was the best & some of my best memories living there were in the fall, playing in the woods, helping my step-dad cut down trees, running the splitter & piling up the split logs for winter.  Not as convenient as propane perhaps, but there's nothing quite like it.

That's too bad.  When I was young we had a small ranch house without a furnace and had to rely on the medium-small woodstove in the center of the house.  We lived on 40 acres, all but maybe 1 was heavily wooded.  Wood heat was the best & some of my best memories living there were in the fall, playing in the woods, helping my step-dad cut down trees, running the splitter & piling up the split logs for winter.  Not as convenient as propane perhaps, but there's nothing quite like it.

I too love the heat of a woodstove but, for me it just wasn't cost effective any longer.  Plus, I'm not getting any younger so, putting the wood away every year is hard on the body.

So, I still get the feel of a good wood fire at a fraction of the price and work.

I like it.  We heated our house for over 20 years with wood, but converted to Propane a year before gas prices skyrocketed.  My wife won't go back to wood.  We developed a system to potty train our puppies to wood stove pellets, starting when they are three weeks old.

I fully believe that Suburban Propane is run by criminals. I burned about $4K in propane last year. My HVAC guy is working up a quote for a hybrid heat pump / propane system that will supposedly cut the cost to heat my house by 50% or more.

I too love the heat of a woodstove but, for me it just wasn't cost effective any longer.  Plus, I'm not getting any younger so, putting the wood away every year is hard on the body.

So, I still get the feel of a good wood fire at a fraction of the price and work.

I hear ya.  I was single digits to pre-teenager at the time so it wasn't much of an issue & the only cost was my step-dad keeping fuel in the old John Deere that we used to haul it out of the woods (which wasn't a whole lot back then).  I've never had a pellet stove, but I've heard loads of great things about them.  That one looks like mighty fine, from my limited knowledge.

When I first moved to Montana I rented a house that had electric baseboard heating with a thermostat in every room.  The main living/dining/kitchen area had a propane stove.  It took one month of a Montana winter (-10 to -40F) & getting the bill to figure out that I was perfectly happy keeping the doors closed, the bedroom/bathroom heated with electric & the main floor at 45 to keep the pipes from freezing.  I'm with Chuck, only those guys would have to be a whole lot more honest to be considered criminals.

I just bought my first house out here & couldn't be happier.  I'm running a natural gas boiler with a huge reservoir.  Plenty of hot water for a long shower & it doesn't affect the heat in the house that I can tell.  Not to mention I don't have to worry about furniture/curtains right next to the baseboard radiators.  It's no wood stove, but it's unbelieveably cheap & efficient.

First thought, he's cheating. Second thought, he's losing the "firewood heats you twice." :-) I moved into a ranch over a basement from a two story colonial. The difference in heating cost is almost totally due to house style. This house is twice the living space but costs less to heat and this is with natural gas. I realize not everyone wants to jump up and move houses but this was incredibly enlightening to me this past winter. As I dream about building my own home down the road it changes the "how do I heat it" to "how do I build it for heat?"

I hear ya.  I was single digits to pre-teenager at the time so it wasn't much of an issue & the only cost was my step-dad keeping fuel in the old John Deere that we used to haul it out of the woods (which wasn't a whole lot back then).  I've never had a pellet stove, but I've heard loads of great things about them.  That one looks like mighty fine, from my limited knowledge.

When I first moved to Montana I rented a house that had electric baseboard heating with a thermostat in every room.  The main living/dining/kitchen area had a propane stove.  It took one month of a Montana winter (-10 to -40F) & getting the bill to figure out that I was perfectly happy keeping the doors closed, the bedroom/bathroom heated with electric & the main floor at 45 to keep the pipes from freezing.  I'm with Chuck, only those guys would have to be a whole lot more honest to be considered criminals.

I just bought my first house out here & couldn't be happier.  I'm running a natural gas boiler with a huge reservoir.  Plenty of hot water for a long shower & it doesn't affect the heat in the house that I can tell.  Not to mention I don't have to worry about furniture/curtains right next to the baseboard radiators.  It's no wood stove, but it's unbelieveably cheap & efficient.

Another cool thing about the pellet stove is that the only thing that gets really hot to the touch is the front glass.  They don't require the usual clearances that a wood stove does.

Also, I don't have natural gas available..

Southwood, great grandma's trick is a large pot of water sitting on the stove.

That's what we did when I was a kid, works pretty good. We didn't get a furnace until I was 16 or 17, I spent many a cold weekend splitting and stacking wood, and of course, the chore I hated the most, piling up all the brush. It was never stacked tight enough for dad, and I being young didn't understand a pile should get higher, not bigger around :D

That's what we did when I was a kid, works pretty good. We didn't get a furnace until I was 16 or 17, I spent many a cold weekend splitting and stacking wood, and of course, the chore I hated the most, piling up all the brush. It was never stacked tight enough for dad, and I being young didn't understand a pile should get higher, not bigger around :D

Perspective.  When I was 3 foot & change it sure looked like a pretty tall pile :)

Another cool thing about the pellet stove is that the only thing that gets really hot to the touch is the front glass.  They don't require the usual clearances that a wood stove does.

Also, I don't have natural gas available..

That's good to know.  In that house the wood stove was smack dab in the middle of the kitchen so there wasn't too much too worry about :)

Wasn't suggesting NG, but I'm sure loving it.  Tearing down the tiny 1 stall/lean-to garage is on my to-do list & if it weren't so easy just to run a line out there, I'd definitely be looking at pellet stoves, especially after reading all of this.

• Like 1

I so want to heat my garage, but the gap between the door and the frame I think would leak too much air to make it worth it.  I'd prob be loosing lots of heat.  But it would be nice.  Do you have to worry about what type of finishes you use in the shop?

Finishing is certainly a concern with fired heat.  Typically, I get the shop nice and warm and then shut the stove down (only takes a few minutes).  Then, I apply my finishes, air out the shop, and restart the stove.  It's not perfect but, it does work.  This is probably just me being too cautious as the stove/pipe really doesn't get that hot.  Also, I only do this when spraying.

There are lots of inexpensive ways to help seal up those gaps.  Suggest checking with a local installer for ideas that fit your budget and skill level.

Not sure about you but, I don't produce enough scraps to keep the beast fed.  Also, there are some "scraps" that are not good to burn.

That's why I've looked into building a sawdust stove.  I really don't need it (but it would cut down on the NG just a touch) but my lathes could keep that sucker fed 24/7 all winter long.  Plus it's completely sealed so I wouldn't be too worried about feeding it exotic shavings, like I am with the compost heap.

• 2 months later...