The Woodworking Shows

samhell

Anyone go to this?

http://cms.thewoodworkingshows.com/cms/

I went last year and was somewhat underwhelmed... Pretty much the only thing that even struck me was an older guy selling some type of table saw jig and the small table saw he was using was almost silent. A small silent table saw... :mellow:

I'll probably go back this year. I hope its better this time.

The show in Dallas was on a par with as the others that have been described. The venue is the Big Town Mall Exhibition Hall which was constructed over 50 years ago.

A review of the Mall by Keith Milford in Malls of America reads: "This once popular spot in Mesquite that housed department stores, retail shops, an early form of arcade, and even a movie theater, has since become a derelict building after Montgomery Ward went bankrupt in 2001."

I sent the people at Woodworking Shows a link to this website so that they could see what we are saying.

I went to the one here in Seattle (I think it was this show) last year. About all I came out with was a bunch of basic supplies. However, the one thing I found were some cheap, but fairly well-made bifocal safety glasses. they ended up being my favorite pair. Unfortunately, they got scratched up and I've never been able to find decent replacements anywhere.

So yeah, as underwhelming as it was, I was a bit sad to hear they weren't going to be back this year.

I am going to the Mn one in Dec., I haven't been to one in a few years so we will see how much things have changed. I think it was Mark Williams (if I am wrong I appologize)that went to the one here last year and was disappointed, so I am hopeing for the best planning for the worst! I have to be in the cities anyway so I guess I am not out much either way.

Nate

The last really good tool show I attended was in Columbus, Ohio, about 5-6 years ago. I've been to a couple since then that were not worth the effort to get there. There was a Japanese fellow demonstrating hand planes who spent 25 minutes adjusting it, in a 30 minute demo. I probably will not go to another unless it coincides with a trip that takes me close to the venue. I think the Woodcraft store in Parkersburg, WV (70 miles away) is more fun and a heck of a lot cheaper. I get to talk to the people as much as I wish, and members of the club get a 10 percent discount. They always have a table of major marked down goodies. I bought 40" clamps there for $10.00 each.

Trace - Funny you mentioned Woodcraft. This last weekend was our store's annual "Woodworking Show". I had never been before, but this year I stopped by. It was small, but I enjoyed it more than the travelling show! Also, for all you hand tool users, the couple traveling Lie-Nielsen shows I've been to have been great.

Mike

I'll second everyone opinion. I've been going for a while too, and each year it less and less exciting. I'll admit that I would have seriously considered not going in the spring when they come to Somerset, NJ had a I not learned that Woodpecker would be there. After the wonderful chat I had with them at WIA, I'll make the trip just to see them again.

Count me in as one more of the, not overly impressed with the show, people.

Maybe there would be more success if there were more interactive sessions to participate in, in a smaller group setting, other than trying to feed the masses. It seemed like a place to peddle your wares and get a show special on pricing. Maybe ask a few product questions too.

I'm sure not all woodworking shows are like this, but I have never been to one that has been really exciting. Most woodworking events that I have been to have been pretty dry anyway. This is a generalization, myself being included in this (so don't get offended), but they seem to be a bunch of middle aged white guys with to much time and money on their hands! Anybody else ever notice this? :) Just my observation.

Bret-

i know what your saying and I totaly agree! I guess woodworking as a whole doenst draft a wild young bunch!

Just need to make it more EXTRRRREEEEMEEEEE DOOOOOOOODDDD WHOOOAAAA :D

Well, that, and teaching kids the value of working hard and having something to be proud of when you're done. I guess its too easy to just buy crap on ebay or whatever and go get drunk or high somewhere... :huh: