Obvious, but unusual?

jhl.verona

Well I gave my Record 778 a good run for its money today cutting a 10mm full width rebate, and, since it didn't have one, a made a wooden fence for it. Perhaps 15 minutes work making the fence, saw a chunk of beech - or anything else hard ancd cheap, plane it, and screw it to the metal fence.

post-2037-0-79473900-1390258218_thumb.jp

Not the most difficult job in the world, but... It dawned on me that in all the ebay auctions I've followed chasing rebate planes, plough planes or even multi-planes (Record 405 excluded, 'cause they put a nice rosewood one on themselves) I don't remember seeing even one with a home made wooden fence attached.

Please tell me it's just me...

John

P.S: If you have one, and haven't made a wooden fence for it yet - do it. It may not change your life forever, but it does improve your precision with the tool - it's much harder to create a wedge with a good big wooden fence.

See what I mean?

post-2037-0-43418900-1390258909_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I'll ask a dumb question: were there holes for the screws already? If so, it seems it was made to have one.  Mount a fence ripped at 45º and you'll have a nice chamfering plane.  My planes with fences all have holes to mount a wooden auxiliary fence.  The ones with rosewood fences can leave discoloration on white woods so I switched them to maple.

I'll ask a dumb question: were there holes for the screws already? If so, it seems it was made to have one.  Mount a fence ripped at 45º and you'll have a nice chamfering plane.  My planes with fences all have holes to mount a wooden auxiliary fence.  The ones with rosewood fences can leave discoloration on white woods so I switched them to maple.

Yes indeed. I have a 043, 044 and a 050. They all have screw holes in the metal fence, and no, none of them came with a home made wooden fence. Maple sounds like an excellent choice too.

John

C a lot of people buy universal planes and find some of them have a steep learning curve. They then end up either selling them again rather than persevering with them. If they do decide to keep them they collect dust in the tool cabinet waiting for that rainy day when the woodworker is going to "learn" it. In that case the best thing that they can be used for is a boat anchor :)

That's why they are so many pristine examples from the 1950s still in unmarked boxes (I have a few). Power Routers became popular around then so the universals ended up being redundant.