Perfect Drawer Function

Chris H

I am not sure if others have found this trick or not, but I haven't seen it before, so I thought I would share.

I was making drawer boxes with less than perfect lumber, and when I went to install the drawer, I found it was about 1/8" too big. In the past I would just grab a box plane, but I decided it would be quicker to just create a shallow rabbit on the table saw. post-7224-0-11552100-1393593851_thumb.jp

An added benefit is that I inadvertently created a perfectly parallel face for the drawer slides to sit.  When I installed the drawer slides, I was shocked how perfectly they went in and functioned.  

So that is an easy way to make not so perfect drawers function perfectly!  

Hope that helps someone else.post-7224-0-73275500-1393594126_thumb.jp

wdwerker, you've mentioned before that you like the KV8405 slides. Have you ever used the Accuride full extension? I am having a heck of a time trying to find the KV's here in Houston and I would like to install mine this weekend. Chris, good advice and I will certainly keep this in mind on my drawers

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I appreciate your advise. Woodcraft have the Accuride on sale today and tomorrow and I looked and Rockler's regular price is lower than WC's sale price @ $15 something. If you think they are good as the KV's, I will get them. I need 12 sets.

Those epoxy slides do have their advantages , but they are only 3/4 extension and do have a weight limit. Those plastic mounts are convenient but they will crack and die sooner than the slide will. I build for the long haul... If they don't want it done right call somebody else.

My clients are a bit more upscale and full extension is the minimum . That is why I just include the over travel slides as my base level.

If you want to spend some money I have 150 lb capacity concealed self closing slides to use with dovetailed solid wood drawers.

The KV or Accuride full extension slides will easily last 25 years or more. I have adjusted slides that old that I installed that long ago and they still worked well.

I have replaced 5 year old epoxy slides, but if you are on a budget and 3/4 extension is OK they do work. If any one on this board needs a few epoxy slides in Atlanta give me a shout, I have a 55 gal drum full of them and will never use them up. 22" long

Just looked online NBH has KV8405 for $10.40 ea 22" slide.

I pay around $8.50 at my local supply house, but they only sell to the trade.

i just checked out NBH for an upcoming cabinet job, don't see any prices listed. i signed up for an account to see if that changed but no dice. do i need to call them or do you think their website is down?

i just checked out NBH for an upcoming cabinet job, don't see any prices listed. i signed up for an account to see if that changed but no dice. do i need to call them or do you think their website is down?

You have to call them they will need all your corp info EIN and info to prove you are a real business.