Possible brain malfunkshin (twitch)

Eric.

Or you can be lazy like me and get winding sticks for christmas. :)

I had some in a shopping cart once, but it felt too wrong to buy something so easy to make.  Couldn't do it.

I'll make you a deal, Chuck...since Freddie brought it up...if I haven't used them by this coming Christmas, they're yours. :)

Gratification is when you put them in your tool cabinet so people think you flatten boards by hand.  Just make sure you hide your planer sled so they're thoroughly fooled.

It has cost me a ton of money to make people think I do stuff by hand, I keep buying decoys!

• Like 1

They do look super cool.  I'd like to get the Veritas one just to stick in the cabinet so I could be a legit poser. :)

The problem I have with plow planes is: how often do you make through grooves on all four parts of a box, drawer, carcass, etc?  Never, unless you wanna see the groove.  So you gotta deal with a stopped groove on two of the parts anyway...by the time you mess with all that you may as well just break out the plunge router or drop and stop on the router table.  Otherwise I probably would get one and use it for small stuff...because they are fun.  And totally obsolete and impractical. :P

The problem I have with plow planes is: how often do you make through grooves on all four parts of a box, drawer, carcass, etc?

I do this all the time. My plough plane gets lots of use. A half-blind dovetail positioned correctly will hide the groove - which is what I use on drawer fronts. For boxes I often just put a miter on the corner above/below the dovetails to hide the groove.

I've been thinking of all kinds of furniture I want to make. My house if full of furniture. I have no need. Some men ask, "why?" and others ask, "why not?"  :wacko: Whether you use them or not, they look great! ha! But my newb opinion means nothing. do they perform their intended function? assuming of course you would ever actually USe them

I have been watching these guys - Walke Moore Tools - on instagram, and they're winding sticks sure are pretty as well. Just make a few mote batches, and get to selling.

http://www.walkemooretools.com/shop/winding-sticks/

I do this all the time. My plough plane gets lots of use. A half-blind dovetail positioned correctly will hide the groove - which is what I use on drawer fronts. For boxes I often just put a miter on the corner above/below the dovetails to hide the groove.

Good point.  And a good enough excuse to waste some money on a plow plane.  Maybe I'll put it back on the backburner list. :)

I have been watching these guys - Walke Moore Tools - on instagram, and they're winding sticks sure are pretty as well. Just make a few mote batches, and get to selling.

http://www.walkemooretools.com/shop/winding-sticks/

Those are cool looking...I like how they're tapered top to bottom.

Very nice Eric. I think you're right, milling by hand is a ball ache. However when that big wide plank comes knocking you wont be limited by machine capacity with some winding sticks and a plane or two!

That's precisely why I made them.  You'll never catch me milling an 8" or smaller board by hand...and hopefully that number will be jumping to 12" later this year. :)

I have a couple wide walnut slabs that I'm thinking about playing with...I could use a sled but I figured I'd act like a real woodworker and do it the old fashioned way for a change.

You'll find a use for those shavings one day.

Halloween baskets?  It never ceases to impress me, every time I work with padauk, how orange that stuff it.  Too bad it doesn't stay that way. :(