Can't wait!

Same here, really looking forward to this...but also wondering how I'm going to deal with the bandsaw requirement. Of course, one obvious solution comes to mind. :)

Also starting the adirondack next week, Bell Forest package arrives Monday. Summer of Chairs!

This hobby is turning into an obsession. I have been laying in a hotel room awake this morning like a kid on Christmas Eve...as I have a tour of the Gamble House in 4 hours 42 minutes.

Thanks for the inspiration Marc. May 2 can't come soon enough.

• Like 1

I'm on the fence.  Been wanting to build a Morris for a long time, but there's no way I'm gonna ruin it by doing my own upholstery.  And of course pleather ain't gonna cut it, so we're looking at some coin to have that done with high quality leather by a skilled upholsterer.

Wonder how much, ballpark, for the three cushions?  Get it done nicely for $500 maybe?

Hey Marc, my Sketchup says it is up to date, but when I try to use the download, it says I need different version. Do I need to pay Trimble for the upgrade, or is there a free version out there? I don't really need a Morris chair, but I do love this design. I may have to sell a chair to make room.

Looking forward to this build.

The original file I distributed required SketchUp Make 13. If you download the latest version (14), the file will work just fine. But unfortunately, the new versions of SketchUp don't play well with older operating systems. So if you are running an old version of OSX for example, the best you're going to get is version 8. So I have re-uploaded the file in version 8 format and that should work for everyone.

So try re-downloading the file and you should be good to go.

I think I'll make the foot stool without those the legs projecting above the aprons (a pet hate of mine) - in other words making the upper aprons the same level all around with the cushion slightly above the woodwork. And I might slope it to make it more comfortable - not very Stickley but hey it's going to be my chair. (That might be easier said than done though)

Other than that the project looks great.

Hi guys,

This will be my first build-along since joining the Guild a months ago. It's also first real project in my new workshop built over the winter. It will be nice to build in my shop and not in my barn...

I will be using cherry I cut and milled from my property here. It's finally dry and stable. ( woodmizer - in response to your sawmill post )

Good luck to other Guild members and thanks, Marc.

Matt

Personally I want the tops of the legs to be flush with the cushion or just slightly below...maybe 1/4" or so.  It would also be a real pain in my OCD  to see curved stretchers (rails?) juxtaposed with a flat cushion...if you can get that thing upholstered so that it conforms to the curve, I might be able to get on board.  I do agree that the curved ottoman would be more comfortable...and it is visually appealing when looking at the chair and ottoman together from a distance.  Looks a little goofy on its own.

As an aside...I hate big, fluffy cushions.  I'll be getting mine made on the thinner side with a denser material instead of the fat, pillowy kind.  Maybe 3-4".  How about everyone else?  I can't be alone on this.

As an aside...I hate big, fluffy cushions.  I'll be getting mine made on the thinner side with a denser material instead of the fat, pillowy kind.  Maybe 3-4".  How about everyone else?  I can't be alone on this.

I won't be building this chair, but I whole-heartedly agree with you on this. Chairs with the "thinner" cushion look more appealing to me.

There may be a way that upholsterers curve seat cushions. We have a pair of commercially produced footstools which have a curved top surface. Not sure if the substrate underneath is curved as the whole caboodle is leather. I don't fancy trying to take it apart and receive the wrath of my wife. Maybe they use some sort of tensioning to achieve a curve or put less padding at the edges and the tension of the covering material forms a corresponding curve. I don't know much about upholstery and, like Eric kiki, will probably outsource that part and I agree will go for thinner, denser cushions. 

There may be a way that upholsterers curve seat cushions. We have a pair of commercially produced footstools which have a curved top surface. Not sure if the substrate underneath is curved as the whole caboodle is leather. I don't fancy trying to take it apart and receive the wrath of my wife. Maybe they use some sort of tensioning to achieve a curve or put less padding at the edges and the tension of the covering material forms a corresponding curve. I don't know much about upholstery and, like Eric kiki, will probably outsource that part and I agree will go for thinner, denser cushions. 

Well I am not going to be building the chair, I am just not ready for a build like this, but I do work in automotive seating industry and a curved top is very easy to create. Just cut the foam (under the leather in KiKi's case) with a nice gentle curve and the leather will follow the line. Just make sure that the crush of the foam is taken into consideration.

• Like 1

Well I am not going to be building the chair, I am just not ready for a build like this, but I do work in automotive seating industry and a curved top is very easy to create. Just cut the foam (under the leather in KiKi's case) with a nice gentle curve and the leather will follow the line. Just make sure that the crush of the foam is taken into consideration.

Thanks EC that's just what I wanted to hear from a pro. A curved sloping top to the footstool is what I will do.

I think I have my wife Elly on board with the Morris chair. She's even talking about where in the house it could be located. I guess I should buy some wood :)

Ah man...you mean I have to go to the lumberyard AGAIN?! What a chore...

• Like 1

Really stoked about this project!  I was just trying to find a big comfortable chair for my wife to sit and read in my shop, and I think the Morris chair will fit the bill quite nicely!

This will be my first guild build, and my first kick at bent lamination....  I'm thinking walnut.  Are there any species that are particularly good for the bent lamination or ones to avoid?

If you have enough space in your shop to set a giant chair for your wife to read in, then I'm jealous of your shop space. :) 

I'm going walnut, too.  You can use just about any species for bent laminations...it's not like steam bending.  But I would probably avoid super-brittle and splintery woods like wenge, even though I think it could still be done without problems...you might just have to cut thinner lams.  I'll go out on a limb and say any domestic wood will be fine.  Except maybe persimmon. :blink:

If you have enough space in your shop to set a giant chair for your wife to read in, then I'm jealous of your shop space. :)

I'm going walnut, too.  You can use just about any species for bent laminations...it's not like steam bending.  But I would probably avoid super-brittle and splintery woods like wenge, even though I think it could still be done without problems...you might just have to cut thinner lams.  I'll go out on a limb and say any domestic wood will be fine.  Except maybe persimmon. :blink:

It's actually quite a small shop.... But if I want more shop time, and my wife wants more "us" time I'll put 6 elephants into the shop if it'll help make both work out! B) 

Thanks for the confirmation about the walnut.  I'm off to finish a tune up the bandsaw and get some practice re-sawing some scraps (the blade is drifting like a sailboat without a crew)!

Nice profile pic BTW... That's one of the best skits of all time!

Hoping someone can help.  I have downloaded the pdf plans for this project but when I attempt to print the page for the templates I don't get anything usable as templates.  I just get a normal size page with the drawing of the pieces on it just like it appears on my screen.  I'm using a hp envy 110 series printer and latest version of Mac OS.