Table Build

..Kev

As for Brydie, thought that might be a fat finger..  ;)

I'll be clearer - you do absolutely beautiful work and I appreciate that you're willing to take a risk and try something new.  While the table isn't my style, the quality of work and the efforts expended on it are.

I do tend to attempt the odd play on words from time to time.

Ok, I know it doesn't look like much of a change but, there was a coat of shellac added and then I used 4ot steel wool to soften it up and let some (not much) of the black lacquer come thru..

2igDb0.jpg

4SfGlz.jpg

Next, I'll add a coat of amber shellac and let it cure.

Curious, amber shellac just on the gilding or over the whole piece? Trying to picture amber over black.

Just over the gilding to help with the antiquing. I also have some thinned raw umber to apply and a good rottenstone rubbing..

• Like 1

Amber shellac looks pretty good over black paint. Especially when the black is worn through to the wood on the edges and corners. It provides an 'aged' appearance, but is best rubbed to a satin sheen, in my opinion. It makes the piece look as if it has been well used for many years, with coat after coat of furniture wax lovingly applied. I like to rub through the edges of the paint with 400 - 600 grit paper, wet. Makes it look like wear, rather than abuse. I'm not fond of the more aggressive 'distressing' techniques that amount to beating the crap out the piece you just made.

How is the tape holding up? No bleed through i hope.

None that I'm aware of, I'll know for sure tomorrow..  There's a few coats of shellac on it so, it should be good.  The entire table still gets a clear lacquer on it so, I have an opportunity for touch up if needed.

• Like 1