360 Woodworking has started

TerryMcK

Sounds familiar...hope Spagnuolo is gonna get some format royalties. :)

And since they're going with such a similar program, I think they should do what Marc does and lay out a rough calendar of events so people know what to expect before they lay out their money.  At least, which projects they're planning and when.  I look forward to their content and I'll probably be a subscriber...but I'd like to know exactly what I'm buying first.

They're just trying to market their product, Richard.  Are they supposed to tell us it sucks?  Ultimately the market will decide if it's worth the money or not, just like everything else.  We'll have to wait and see.  My guess is that the content will be superb and the production value mediocre.  I care more about the former than the latter.

I'm excited for woodworking content brought to me in a way I haven't seen before!!!

Like text.  And pictures....big pictures.  And video (when appropriate). 

(see 1.25 in the video)

Simply based on the fact that they wouldn't go back and reshoot that intro video after they watched it, and realizing all the close up shots were looking at the wrong camera, doesn't give me the confidence that they intend to put out a quality product. 

It's an 8 minute clip...why not reshoot it?  Especially because it's essentially the commercial for their service.

I realize this has already been hashed out, but production quality is one thing...not fixing something with a simple reshoot is another.  Especially when the product in question is going to be a pay service. 

• Like 1

I like the thought of them sharing their knowledge and experience, and more content around complete projects and skill building would be awesome.  But I think they are stretching just how "revolutionary" their cross-media approach is.  Text, articles, links, video, sketchup files, even a podcast, etc.......pretty sure it's being done already.  I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it though.

I'm excited for woodworking content brought to me in a way I haven't seen before!!!

Like text.  And pictures....big pictures.  And video (when appropriate). 

(see 1.25 in the video)

Simply based on the fact that they wouldn't go back and reshoot that intro video after they watched it, and realizing all the close up shots were looking at the wrong camera, doesn't give me the confidence that they intend to put out a quality product. 

It's an 8 minute clip...why not reshoot it?  Especially because it's essentially the commercial for their service.

I realize this has already been hashed out, but production quality is one thing...not fixing something with a simple reshoot is another.  Especially when the product in question is going to be a pay service.

It was painful to watch I want demos before I subscribe

For a brand new site, I was surprised to see a rather well established blog.  Did they have personal blogs outside of PWW that they combined for this site?

They must have...the archives of their free blog go back over 5 years...   If you cilck the other links under "free stuff" you can see their new revolutionary content: a shaker stool!

Also everything in the "lessons" is broken up into tiny miniscule pieces...the written parts too.  They seem stuck to their "it must fit on 1-2 pages for a magazine article" style...I mean they're even calling their content release an "issue".

Holding on to hope...but with even more doubt than before.

They're just trying to market their product, Richard.  Are they supposed to tell us it sucks?  Ultimately the market will decide if it's worth the money or not, just like everything else.  We'll have to wait and see.  My guess is that the content will be superb and the production value mediocre.  I care more about the former than the latter.

Understood, Lakisha/kiki/ eric, but if you listen, you'll hear that a low angle block plane is needed.   Down to earth works better than overselling something that's not yet proven!

Understood, Lakisha/kiki/ eric, but if you listen, you'll hear that a low angle block plane is needed.   Down to earth works better than overselling something that's not yet proven!

Understood, Richard, Richie, Dick, Dickie...but if you'll just relax and stop worrying about nonsense, you'll realize these guys are just woodworkers trying to make a living doing their own thing...they're not actors, politicians, movie directors...they don't have marketing advisers...take a breath and pay attention and you just might learn something.  You don't have to give them your money, but try to give them a break...they're three of the most respected woodworkers in the public arena right now, and they've earned that respect with piles and piles of quality content.  Try to keep perspective on what's important and what's not.

• Like 1

Wow, i feel for these guys. Its like your mother in law showing up to the bridal suite to provide a critique. "you call that revolutionary, you should have seen dad back in the day....".

Marc made this point in a previous thread, but they bring it on themselves. They say "revolutionary" when it's not. They say "unlike any other" when it's very similar to Marc's and others' offerings. They say they want to share their "centuries" of experience when it's at most a single century. Everything is just so exaggerated. They seem to lack the behind-the-scenes people who would handle the production, marketing, etc. The magazines always took care of that part for them.

Understood, Richard, Richie, Dick, Dickie...but if you'll just relax and stop worrying about nonsense, you'll realize these guys are just woodworkers trying to make a living doing their own thing...they're not actors, politicians, movie directors...they don't have marketing advisers...take a breath and pay attention and you just might learn something.  You don't have to give them your money, but try to give them a break...they're three of the most respected woodworkers in the public arena right now, and they've earned that respect with piles and piles of quality content.  Try to keep perspective on what's important and what's not.

Point taken about their woodworking ability... I'll end it there!

• Like 1

I watched the Shaker Shop Stool video - it started out with good information and detail, as it went along it seemed to get rushed somewhat.  The sound sync was off from the beginning and as it went on got worse.  At one point the sound of the back saw was well before he even got close to the wood in the video.  I think they are making a mistake in that appears they are rushing to market.  It needs to be much more polished or it will turn potential members off.