first big project?

bushwacked

Be warned: mahogany is a bit on the soft side and won't take a beating without dings and dents.  But would be the prettiest out of the three options of mahogany, maple, oak.  My opinion, of course.  I agree with Pug about the thickness...6/4 minimum for a table that size.  8/4 would be preferable.

At my dealer, 8/4 prices:

Hard maple: $6.00/bf

Red oak: 5.50/bf

White: 7.00/bf (flat) 9.00/bf (quarter)

Hond. Mahogany: 8.50/bf

Walnut: 10.75/bf

Walnut 4/4: 7.90/bf

...just for a general guide.  Prices will vary depending on location and your dealer.

Be warned: mahogany is a bit on the soft side and won't take a beating without dings and dents. But would be the prettiest out of the three options of mahogany, maple, oak. My opinion, of course. I agree with Pug about the thickness...6/4 minimum for a table that size. 8/4 would be preferable.

At my dealer, 8/4 prices:

Hard maple: $6.00/bf

Red oak: 5.50/bf

White: 7.00/bf (flat) 9.00/bf (quarter)

Hond. Mahogany: 8.50/bf

Walnut: 10.75/bf

Walnut 4/4: 7.90/bf

...just for a general guide. Prices will vary depending on location and your dealer.

Thanks for the heads up!!

So when you say 8/4 minimum. Is that 8/4 then milled or 8/4 after milling?

Thanks for the prices just to give me an idea of what to expect.

Walnut has skyrocketed everywhere because it's back in vogue, and the supply is down from shipping so much of it to China so they can build IKEA garbage and sell it back to us.  There are a couple other dealers in the St. Louis metro area who say they can't even place an order for it.  My dealer is sitting on approximately 80 logs at the moment.  Can't wait to sniff around in that pile once it's milled. :)

Prices vary a lot by region. The closest mill to me carries mostly red & white oak, but BF prices fall in the $1.50 - $2.50 range, depending on grade. The offer cherry as well, in the $3.50 range, last time I checked. Walnut isn't even on their list. I managed to buy about 100 BF of air dried walnut from a hobby sawyer last year at $0.75 / BF, but it is pretty gnarly stuff. Pretty grain, but not many large clear pieces. Best suited for boxes and such, not so much for furniture.

My mom used to work in the office of a huge lumber company in Pittsburgh. I used to get domestic wood for next to nothing. Less than $2.00 bf for cherry. They sold their company and at the end of this month everyone is losing their jobs. My mom doesn't care too much, honestly, I think I am more disappointed than she is lol

• Like 1

There is a MASSIVE lumber dealer about 2 hours from my home on the other side of toronto. Their prices are incredible, and if I need a lot of material I make the drive out there. I bought 6/4 walnut for 5.35 a bf there last year. I recently bought 12/4 ash there for less per bf than I pay for 4/4 locally. But, as the drive is so long, it's only worth it if I buy a lot or need something I cannot buy here.

I asked my local guy why the prices are so spiking on most items and he said it mostly due to the value of the canadian dollar. The loonie has taken a beating lately, and I know they ship quite a bit from the USA.

With oil prices dropping, I was hoping for a break on the prices as the cost to ship should be much lower.

I asked my local guy why the prices are so spiking on most items and he said it mostly due to the value of the canadian dollar. The loonie has taken a beating lately, and I know they ship quite a bit from the USA.

That wouldn't explain the dramatic spike in walnut prices relative to prices on everything else.  If it were due to the value of the loonie, the prices on ALL domestic (USA) species should spike.  From what I can gather, it's a supply and demand issue.  I suppose it doesn't matter either way...the end result is the same...we have to build with something else or go broke buying walnut.  I mean why couldn't poplar prices skyrocket instead?  That would be ideal for me.

• Like 1