Do Freud bits live up to the hype?

networkspeedy

The only sets of bits I own were given to me by a hobby woodworker who got too disabled to continue.  He had done woodworking as a hobby for probably 30 years.  Of the big boxes of neatly organized bits, probably less than 10 percent had ever been used.

In the late '70s or early '80s, I bought a router bit from my local, best building supply-out of business for a couple of decades now.  It was made by a North Carolina company, so I decided to give it a try.  It was so good, producing the best quality edge I'd had any experience making, and I probably still have it.

The company was Whiteside.   I've never bought anything else, if I can help it.  They've even made some pretty outrageous custom bits for me, and being in the same state, sharpening is a quick turn around.

Don't be like my friend, and end up with a box full of bits you probably won't ever use.  Just buy them as you need one.  I've only bought them as I needed them, and the Router Bit toolbox probably weighs well over 20 pounds now.

Whiteside and Freud bits are 15% off at Woodcraft next weekend.

In my experience, Whiteside bits are already way cheaper at Hartville Tool than at Woodcraft, and with the code from earlier in this thread you can get an additional 15% off anytime at Hartville.

Example, a simple 1/2" shank 1/2" spiral upcut with 1-1/2" CL (Whiteside RU5150): 56.99 at Woodcraft versus only 45.79 at Harville.   So Hartville is already 19.65% off the Woodcraft price...and can go 15% lower (to only 38.92 for this bit) with the 'wn15' code mentioned earlier.

• Like 1

For the value its hard to beat Freud. I don't use many router bits but when I do I want to just run down to the closest store and buy one. Whiteside are good but I'm not willing to wait for the UPS man or drive two hours. If I wanted to wait Id just order he needed shaper knives. Bosch that Lowes sell are IMO junk but are good to get by with in a pinch.

In my experience, Whiteside bits are already way cheaper at Hartville Tool than at Woodcraft, and with the code from earlier in this thread you can get an additional 15% off anytime at Hartville.

Example, a simple 1/2" shank 1/2" spiral upcut with 1-1/2" CL (Whiteside RU5150): 56.99 at Woodcraft versus only 45.79 at Harville. So Hartville is already 19.65% off the Woodcraft price...and can go 15% lower (to only 38.92 for this bit) with the 'wn15' code mentioned earlier.

And free shipping at Hartville.