Home Purchase vs Shop Space

PWRFULZ3R0

My Wife and I have been looking for a home for quite some time.  The area we live in was never affected by the 2008 crash and real estate prices keep climbing.

One of the reasons we can't find a home is my desire for a shop.  The majority of homes to pick from are in housing plans and have very restrictive HOAs.  I've seen it written in some covenants and bylaws that you can't even have a dog house as an external structure!  So no external structures means either basement shop or garage shop.  I'm in a garage shop now, but have to wheel everything out and it's such a PITA.  (If only I could get the wife to give up parking in the garage!)  Basement shop wouldn't be bad either, but the majority of homes have finished basements.

So we're looking for a 3 car garage home or unfinished basement.  The Wife isn't keen on the basement idea, she doesn't want fumes and wood dust particulates circulating into the home.  I think I could capture most of it though.

Anyone feel my pain?

I have thought about building, but can't find inexpensive land.  I live in Marcellus shale territory so everyone wants a fortune for their acreage cause they think they own a gold mine under their land (even with gas prices crazy low).  

Living out in the country was our original plan, but with all the fracking happening you can't trust well water.  You might be ok one day, then a year later your well is filled with methane from fracking.  However you feel about fracking, shit happens to wells, it's a roll of the dice.  So we want public water, but everyone else feels the same way, so those homes are at a premium AND don't permit an external 2 car garage/shop.

I've lived in an HOA neighborhood for about 17 years. I moved 2 years ago. The last one didn't allow sheds. This one allows an exterior building around the size of a two car garage, but everyone just has a regular-sized shed instead. A shop building would seem out of place, take up significant yard space, and would allow more noise to reach the neighbors. My shop is in a section of our unfinished basement. The shop is roughly 20 x 25. I have it sectioned off with a stud wall, exterior door, and plastic stapled and caulked. Once the dust settles in the shop after an hour or so, I have to open the door to allow air circulation. The basement keeps the noise contained to the inside of the house at least. I can barely hear my shop vac running when standing right outside. My previous shop was in the two car attached garage at the old house.

Look for a phrase in your HOA document called "summary abatement" as one of the "remedies."  It means that the named people, often the HOA and everyone in the neighborhood, has permission to enter your property and "fix" whatever "violation" exists. That could mean towing your vehicle or tearing down and removing your dog house, shop, or the kids' playset. 

I don't have a walkout basement, but that would be a great feature to avoid the need to carry lumber and large tools through the house. Don't tell my wife, but I put at least a small dent in the drywall near the basement door every time I carry in a board. ;) It is nice to have a space which is already a comfortable temperature and without the humidity from a wet, possibly salty vehicle. The garage at my house is also used for vehicle maintenance and for storing all of the kids' bikes and riding toys. With kids, It just seems too accessible and cluttered to have a shop there. I just might decide to build a shed for the other stuff and then move into the garage sometime though. 

A finished basement sounds like a nice shop area actually. Just remove any carpeting, and you're set! I have concrete walls with insulation hanging half-way down them. I can't hang anything on the wall unless I build a stud wall there first. Although, I suppose I could do without a few sections of insulation in a few places....

I ended up having to "unfinish" part of my basement to make room for a shop, and it worked out great- just ripped up the carpet and put down epoxy on the concrete floor.  It's nice not having to worry about heating or cooling.  Just make sure it's a walkout basement or you'll have a heck of a time getting machines down there.

Unfortunately HOA's are becoming the way of the world. Here they are mandatory when a developer buys a number of parcels. Its the locality's way of not having to pay for streets, lighting storm drains thing of that nature. Generally the developer sets up a basic HOA covering maintenance and other basics. Its really the nut jobs that move into the properties that make life difficult. They make changes to suit themselves and end up screwing the neighbors in the process. 

I could never live in an hoa. Call it my good old boy roots but if I want to have a bonfire in the back yard or keep my boat in the drive way instead of a side yard, That's exactly what I'm going to do.

As far as a shop in an hoa area, I feel like it would be a nightmare. One complaint about noise could shut you down.

• Like 1

I could never live in an hoa. Call it my good old boy roots but if I want to have a bonfire in the back yard or keep my boat in the drive way instead of a side yard, That's exactly what I'm going to do.

As far as a shop in an hoa area, I feel like it would be a nightmare. One complaint about noise could shut you down.

There was the guy making dressers for servicemen who got shut down by his HOA 6 months ago or so.

Thanks Andy, I'll keep a look out for those words in HOA docs for now on. And I won't let a finished basement scare me!

I agree Mike, I don't want neighbors who put cars on blocks.  But I also want to plant a shrub without a signature, or change my engine oil without getting a nastygram in the mail.

amen brother! As my grandma used to say, it's my house and I'll do as I damn well please! :D of course common courtesy goes a long way keeping neighbors friendly, but none of my neighbors mind if I change my oil or build something in the driveway.

amen brother! As my grandma used to say, it's my house and I'll do as I damn well please! :D of course common courtesy goes a long way keeping neighbors friendly, but none of my neighbors mind if I change my oil or build something in the driveway.

I live in the suburbs of los Angeles and have 6 laying hens on the side of my house. I see every neighbors face at least once a week when the kids make their rounds to pass out eggs. I think I've got some good will built up

i work in and out of the garage but never run power tools before 9am or after 9 pm. For a young guy, common courtesy can be a productivity killer :-D

As an ex-lawn/landscape business owner, I can say I understand your frustration, but I would hate your guts for doing that.  Those guys are relegated to working when the weather conditions allow...a five-day rain event is an absolute nightmare, and if you eliminate 1/7th of the workweek, you're making it even harder on them.  Just be sure you don't bitch and moan when the commonground grass is a foot tall.  You asked for it.

Our neighborhood is kind of in between.  Our HOA is defunct but we still have fairly strict city rules.  Some of them I'm happy to have, some are absolutely stupid.  My dream is to move to the country where I don't have to follow anyone's rules but my own.  But I have at least 16 years to go before I can get out of suburban hell.

We have a fairly new HOA in my area, my wife and I looked into it and there were some stupid rules,

Couldn't Park in the Driveway

No Trailers of any Kind (I own a production Company) I have 3 trailers full of gear

No Noise over 70 DB after 7PM (I talk louder than that)
No FirePits (Not gonna happen buddy lol)

All Just dumb stuff, I remember the lady giving me the paperwork for start the process and I handed it back to her and said they are completely nuts

• Like 1

In the same boat! We just moved about 9 months ago and picked the house with a large enough 3 car garage that'll give me enough room to wall off the 3rd bay. It's 11x22 and is just enough room. Getting ready to get started on the build now that work has settled down. Attached are the two layouts I'm considering.

shop.pdf

shop2.pdf

ours isn't that bad.

We can park in the driveway but I think there are some rules around that (cars must be operable and maybe there is a limit as to how many)

No trailers allowed.  I am 100% ok with that.  If you own a business, rent a storage area for business equipment.  

Not sure about noise.

Firepits are ok.  

I dont put any of my gear in storage, there in a trailer in a heated locked garage, sound equipment does not like Northern MN Winters 

If you are thinking of building a free standing shop don't let the HOA stop you. I built a free standing shop (21'X21') even though it was against HOA rules.

Here's what I did. Before I built it I met with the HOA president and presented him with an approved permit from the city, I asked him very politely for the HOA deviation form. He gave it to me and I filled it out and asked him to put it to vote at the next HOA meeting. I talked to a handful of my neighbors and told them what I was planning on building. I told them it wouldn't look like some crappy shed, but instead would look really good, be landscaped properly, and compliment the house. I got about a half dozen neighbors on my side. (it didn't hurt that I had build a number of projects for each of them, as well as lent them tools.) Anyway at the next HOA meeting I brought 5 other neighbors with me and my plan was voted acceptable. Most HOA meetings have fewer than 3 home owners attending so because I brought 5 with me it was easy to get it approved.

Then what you do is keep a copy of the approved deviation form for yourself (just in case) and ask the HOA president to put a copy in the file for your house. Ta-da! New workshop behind the house.

I later found out I could have more easily short-circuited the process by becoming the HOA president. Nobody ever runs for those positions so if you are willing to take on the role you can do what ever you like for a year and then find some other homeowner to take over.

But seriously just buddy up with the HOA president and get a deviation added to your file. Most HOA presidents are just some lonely joker who wants nothing more than somebody to be his/her friend. Of course there's always the risk that your HOA president is some A-hole rule stickler Nazi. But if that turns out to be the case get yourself voted in at the next annual meeting. Seriously you bring a half dozen home owners with you, you'll get voted in for sure.

• Like 2

These HOAs sound ridiculous. These don't exist here, and the city takes care of all the traditional stuff like garbage, water, curbs, snow removal, etc.

The municipality has some rules, like overnight parking on the roads, fence setbacks, and the like. No one needs permission to put a new doorknob on or build a deck, fence, etc, as long as you follow the municipal codes.

We have a fairly new HOA in my area, my wife and I looked into it and there were some stupid rules,

Couldn't Park in the Driveway

No Trailers of any Kind (I own a production Company) I have 3 trailers full of gear

No Noise over 70 DB after 7PM (I talk louder than that)

No FirePits (Not gonna happen buddy lol)

All Just dumb stuff, I remember the lady giving me the paperwork for start the process and I handed it back to her and said they are completely nuts

Good move. It's great that you have the option of declining to join rather than being part of an HOA automatically written into the deed.