What do you wear?

Saddlestrum

My wife recently made me a denim shop apron (apologies to Marc) that has two large pockets plus some narrow pockets up higher in the chest area. These higher pockets hold things like pencils, 6" ruler, etc.

More and more I find myself going back to wearing my carpenter belt with a hammer at the side, small right angle square in the other hanger, tape in the front pocket, etc.

Question; is it just me or do others find themselves scrambling to find things when wearing a shop apron? What do you wear in the shop. It's a very personal thing....the knack of feeling comfortable and also finding those essential marking tools the moment you want them.

Tell us what makes you the best dressed in the shop. . .

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gorilla suit with leopard print speedos on the outside, thigh holster with a Beretta 92FS and a Duluth shop apron.

Damn, I hate it when I go to a party and another dude is dressed just like me... j/k... that was hilarious.

I wear jeans, skate pants, or this pair of shorts so torn up that I have to "tuck" to the right or take a misdemeanor charge. Always a tee-shirt cuz long sleeves and tools are sometimes too friendly. Sometimes no shoes.

Pair of jeans and a T shirt I have tried to wear things like an apron or belt but they are just an annoyance to me.

With aprons I find the pockets get full of saw dust and I end up putting so much crap in the pockets its like in boot camp wearing a 50 pound pay load doing morning runs and then I end up looking like my wife digging in her purse for 5 minutes trying to find a pencil and finally end up dumping everything out on the bench to find it.

I had a belt type that had 2 pockets and a couple of loops to hang stuff on but all I ended up doing was hanging myself on just about anything I walked past and dragging stuff off the bench and all over the floor.

This is a bit personal dudes ...

All my jeans were converted to Carhartt. No more Lucky Jeans. Problems with pockets is that they fill up with saw dust. I bought the Festool aprons and never wear them. The nice thing about my Carhartt pants is that I can put stuff on the side pockets, mostly pencils and I never have them when I need them.

Sometimes shoes. I like walking without shoes, sometimes just old socks that never rip. Sometimes cowboy boots because the saw dust does not stick to the boots like they do on my old hiking shoes.

My shirts for the most part are tight for the same reason Paul-Marcel mentioned.

Summer= shorts or jeans with a t-shirt, athletic shoes

Winter= jeans, t-shirt, sweat shirt or coat, atheletic shoes

When it is really cold, a knit cap and insulated overalls, atheletic shoes

As far as a tool belt or shop apron, I tried. It just didn't come naturally for me to wear one and I still had to "find" the needed tool. I just lay my tools out all over where I am working or a bench top that is close. As far as finding pencils, I have about 15 of them scattered around the shop so there is always one close by. I cut the erasures off and sharpen both ends. There is usually one within arms reach.

Winter - Levi's, long sleeve tshirt, carhartt jacket (I keep the shop around 50f), dansko shoes (essential!!)

Summer - ripstop BDU's, tshirt, dansko shoes.

And always Wiley-X safety glasses if I am using any power tools!

I learned about Dansko shoes from my surgeon wife, they are amazing to stand around in all day!

I wear denim jeans, T-shirt, a sweat shirt if necessary, sneakers and when I'm nit too lazy to put it on, my Rockler deluxe apron. When I picked it up years ago it was the only apron I could find that crossed my back rather than hung on my neck. That makes it very comfortable. I also like to wear a ball cap, as it's easier to tuck my pencil under the edge of the hat then it is to rest it on my ear.

I have worn overalls for the past 19 years. My very first job out of high school required wearing them and it stuck ever since. I did learn to like them better after realizing I could take my jeans off underneath them. <_<

I think the air circulates better in them than in a pair of jeans and I don't worry about them sagging.

Woodworkers Gone Wild

I like the sound of that...

"hey! flash us your bubinga!"

Tom could do the Ft Lauderdale woodworking beach parties.

hey flash us your hammer

hey flash us your rulle

hey flash us your stanley #7

i think we have something here. or at least an idea for sexy wood worker calender.

I wear an apron, I don't put a lot in there so it is easy to find but still right there when I need it. Normally in the chest pockets it is a pencil, 6" ruler and a small piece of formica for writing measurements on. In the right pocket a 4" double square and a backup pencil, left pocket is a low angle block plane and hanging on the outside is the remote for the DC. Like I said not a lot but enough to keep my sanity. Just my 2 cents.

Nate

I find anything hanging at my waist falls off within three passes around the obstacles in my shop. So I don't bother with tool belts. And since I sometimes feel restricted by wrapping my legs up, so I don't wear an apron. I already carry eighty times too much in my pockets (2 ipods, money clip - without money, of course - pens, cell phone, knife, you get the idea) so I keep the weight on the nearest horizontal surface.

I've found that the best footwear for me is steel toed boots. (I'm a bit clumsy from time to time.) However, as the dog lost one of my steel toes, I find I wear sandals most of the time. Shop air is a wonderful thing to clean off sawdust, but aim away from the toes if you try it.

The benefits of working in the basement, I suppose, is that you don't need five layers of clothing to stay warm. (Unless your basement is really bad, that is.)

I save the speedo and clogs for my day job :).

Working in a non air-conditioned garage workshop in Texas I tend to go fairly minimal most of the time. Sturdy running shoes, shorts and usually a sleeveless sweatshirt. I tend to prefer working without sleeves in the shop, so the sweatshirt works well, both in the heat plus there's no sleeve to possibly get caught on anything. Not as big an issue in a shop environment, but when I did some gas piping in college and the cheapo company workshirt got caught in the vice (that had a broken foot brake the company was too cheap to repair), that taught me several valuable lessons (stop the vice when you drop a fitting, don't reach over the vice to pick up said fitting while its running, don't wear those crappy polyester nearly indestructible shirts, and having a piece of half inch black pipe wrap around your neck hurts).