What do you wear?

Saddlestrum

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever, preferably not anything nice. No apron or tool belt - I've got a few but don't like them. I keep commonly used tools (square, tape measure, pencil, etc) around the shop in various places and am training myself to leave them there when I am done with them. Having no pockets to put things it helps things stay where they are. I suppose having no fingers or thumb would also help, but may cause more problems than soluctions. I always wear shoes, almost always steel toes.

My wife recently made me a denim shop apron (apologies to Marc) that has two large pockets plus some narrow pockets up higher in the chest area. These higher pockets hold things like pencils, 6" ruler, etc.

More and more I find myself going back to wearing my carpenter belt with a hammer at the side, small right angle square in the other hanger, tape in the front pocket, etc.

Question; is it just me or do others find themselves scrambling to find things when wearing a shop apron? What do you wear in the shop. It's a very personal thing....the knack of feeling comfortable and also finding those essential marking tools the moment you want them.

Tell us what makes you the best dressed in the shop. . .

T-shirt. The shop's small enough that everything's within reach anyways, so no need to keep things in an apron.

i hate wearing a tool belt as I wear one every day at my "real" job. havent tried the apron thing yet but ill let you know after xmas as one is on my list. i figuered i should try to find a better method of keeping track of my pencil and tape. the current method of strategically placing thousands of them around the shop is currently failing

If i have to run into the shop to do something quick.. like apply a coat of poly to something small or just sand I'll often just wear pj pants, tshirt and slippers. I work from home.. that's my usual attire throughout the day :)

Same deal here. Somedays I put nice clothes on and my wife will ask why. I tell her I need to do it every now and then to break the habit of looking like a bum. I can go for days without leaving the house. Gets old sometimes.

Carhartt overalls look geeky but I can't stand that little opening on your lower back between the top of your pants and the T-Shirt and cold air ... I just had to say that. Overalls are my "winter wear"

I don't buy insulated clothing because then we have to store more stuff, so I simply use long backpacking underwear if the weather gets super cold in the garage (40F)

Maybe I'm the odd duck here, but I like to wear the leather apron. Makes me feel like a blacksmith or an old craftsman or something cool like that. I'm a t-shirt and jeans guy. Even in the winter. My shop is heated to about 55 degrees which is warm enough for me. I have a toolbelt for projects like building pergolas or building walls or hanging drywall. But when I'm woodworking for some reason I never wear it. It does have a nifty holster for my cordless drill, which when worn properly makes me feel like Han Solo. ... perhaps I have an over active imagination... Does this qualify as an over-share?

• 3 weeks later...

Shorts or sweats (depending on the temp), T-shirt, old worn out sneakers. Jacket if its below 60 degrees. I do have an apron. It is a denim BBQ apron. Left pocket-6" square. Middle pocket-bevel gauge. Right pocket-mechanical pencil, tape measure. I have just recently started wearing the apron and I find it very handy. It hangs on the handle of the upper wheel cover of the BS when not being worn. First time I need one of those items it goes on.

• 2 weeks later...

Black tuxedo....rented if possible. Those polyester blend rented tuxedos are like plate armor - impervious to anything - sawdust, glue, kickbacks, etc. Stick to bow ties though so you don't get pulled into a machine or something.

In all seriousness, when I had a non-air conditioned garage in Houston, it was tough. Pretty much as little covering as you could get away with and not lose an important part. You could easily lose a couple of lbs of water just working in the afternoon. With the current air conditioning, its just shorts and a T-shirt. No apron for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is that it looks mighty disturbing with shorts....at least on a guy.

Does anyone else think "coed naked woodworking" with most of the woodworkers you've seen would, to put it delicately, get poor television ratings?

R

Black tuxedo....rented if possible. Those polyester blend rented tuxedos are like plate armor - impervious to anything - sawdust, glue, kickbacks, etc. Stick to bow ties though so you don't get pulled into a machine or something.

Now that was funny... a cumberbund would be useful for holding a couple double squares now that I think about it.

Does anyone else think "coed naked woodworking" with most of the woodworkers you've seen would, to put it delicately, get poor television ratings?

I'm guessing that Norm has plaid boxers and St Roy a string with a bowtie. Bob Villa something 'fancy'. But I wouldn't want to see it.

Well... In the summer, I tend only to wear my leopard skin thong... But in the winter, I atleast where my mink one...

On the feet, are a pair of go-go boots, occasionally some knee high "Uggs"..

And thats about it....

Oh, also, on Fridays, its anything goes... so often, I like to wear my suit... my birthday suit... I find it helps the creative juices flow....lol... maybe a wrong time for that saying...

Oh, I really shouldn't have read this while at work. I'm sure that having to stifle a serious case of the giggles is unhealthy for you, somehow.

I wear t-shirts, jeans, and crocs in my basement shop. I just received my new woodwhisperer apron yesterday!! And it had glue on it in less than an hour :)

I tried making an apron myself (woodshop in the basement, sewing room upstairs) but I just couldn't get a comfortable fit. The cross back apron from the website store is very comfortable! And oh, my! the pockets. so many pockets. I wasn't sure I would use the pockets, but that top one sure does come in handy for my small square, pencil and 6" rule.

Now, if I can retrain myself to wipe my hands on the apron instead of my jeans...titebond 3 does NOT come out in the wash.