Fake Woodshops vs. Your Woodshop

wouldwurker

My first working area when I got into woodworking was a Wolfcraft folding adjustable workbench with a 3'x3' piece of 1/2" MDF on. I had a couple of stationary machines (drill press, bandsaw, Ryobi 3000 table saw, and my nicest tool was a Performax 10-20 drum sander) I built my first project which was an acoustic guitar that I wish I had completed pictures of. If you have the drive and desire to build something you'll find a way. When I packed all my tools up and put them in storage, I kept just my scroll saw in my closet of my 1 br condo. I hooked my vacuum cleaner too it and used it to make small projects, picture frames on my dining room table. 

My first workbench

810961_LB_01_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

• Like 1

My shop is under my house, it will be a cool shop once I get settled in, but since I personally built the house in my spare time, when I wasn't working to pay for it so the shop has been a bit neglected. I have been working to remedy that but I fear other things will take priority once the weather breaks, back to making money comes to mind oh well we're all just spending time anyway.

It's funny that you bring this up. I've tried to set up my shop/garage to be as efficient as possible forgetting about all the years I was a mechanic.

As a tech I owned what I needed and updated only if I could make more money with that new tool design. I know every drawer of my tool box and every tool in it. Pick a drawer and I'll tell you what's in it. Actually had to say the same thing to a state trooper in AZ one late night many years ago.

When I was still turning a wrench for a living we had a saying. "The bigger the tool box the dumber the mechanic!" Some of the most intelligent technicians I knew had a small tool box with only the needed tools and they ran circles around the other guys.

• Like 2

It's funny that you bring this up. I've tried to set up my shop/garage to be as efficient as possible forgetting about all the years I was a mechanic.

As a tech I owned what I needed and updated only if I could make more money with that new tool design. I know every drawer of my tool box and every tool in it. Pick a drawer and I'll tell you what's in it. Actually had to say the same thing to a state trooper in AZ one late night many years ago.

When I was still turning a wrench for a living we had a saying. "The bigger the tool box the dumber the mechanic!" Some of the most intelligent technicians I knew had a small tool box with only the needed tools and they ran circles around the other guys.

My garage looks like a bomb went off. I have more tools, that most mechanics only dream about. It would be easier to go buy a screwdriver than it would be to find one in my garage. I changed the water pump on my old truck took 3 hours. 30 minutes to change the pump and 2 1/2 hours to find the tools.

No way I could work like that in my shop. 

I think a shop reflects the owners personality. My own shop gets swept out every day and sometimes a few times a day while a project is on the go. Why ? Because I can't handle tripping over stuff, stacking things up on a bench and slowly being reduced to working on 1 square foot in the corner, not being able to find a particular tool because I put it down... somewhere and it ended up buried under other things I hadn't put away.... the list goes on. I enjoy walking into my shop in the morning and knowing nothing is going to hinder my desire or imagination to make something or I can just sit in there (my own space that I have control of). Maybe I am in a minority, but as I said at the beginning of the post, your shop is a reflection of your personality. If I were to spend time in your shop Vinny I think I would feel a desire to tidy and organise, too much distraction for me to be able to focus on the job at hand. That said, I bet if you were to make something in my shop, it would end up how you manage your own space.

• Like 2

I believe in the best case sinario a shop would be a direct reflection of its owner, but in most cases, especially a home or hobby shop, it is a compromise, as much as I would love to have a picture book shop, I have a job, a business, a home and family that all take priority over the contents and cleanliness of my hobby shop.

==>My shop is immaculate right After I've finished a project, during a project it looks more like this.

Exactly the same here ---- except for the immaculate part... In those 'before' and 'after' photos --- mine is permanently in the 'before' state... :)

Here’s the thing. I used to look at those pics in the magazines, or the TV shows, and think, “…if only I had that shop I’d be so inspired to build.” I need to make my shop look like that! Why am I such a mess that my shop looks nothing like that?

Well F that.

This shop made me want to build something. It inspired me more than any BS ‘studio set shop’.

So how would you have felt if it was the oposite full of modern equipment and spotless as a shop could be and looked like an advertisement for a machine manufacturer? 

In the heat of battle...my shop looks like a fricken explosion went off.  Stuff everywhere. Stepping over power cords vacuum hoses you name it. When I finish the process I'm working on,  it gets cleaned up. Start the process over again.

-Ace-

That's my story and sticken to it. A clean shop...nothing is getting done but cleaning the shop. :P  

I bought my first bandsaw from a guy who had a shop that was 40x60 behind his house. He had a "man cave" in the front of his shop with a 55" TV, leather couch, fridge and some other misc stuff. The shop was immaculate with the exception of 1 corner which had nothing but wood scraps and cutoffs from previous builds.