Parallel Clamps

So, I was browsing the Peachtree catalog, and saw that they have parallel clamps that are similar to the Bessey clamps, but are $12 cheaper for the same 30" length. So the question is...has anyone used or have experience with the Peachtree "brand" clamps, like the parallel clamps or the BigFoot bar clamps? I'd like to add a few of these to my ever growing collection of clamps. All of the clamps I have now are Bessey, but I'm wondering if it's really worth the additional $12 for the Bessey name.

Also, could pipe clamps be just as effective as parallel clamps?

Thanks in advance.

I can't tell you about the other clamps you asked about but I have a few Besseys and I love them, that being said I have been using pipe clamps ever since I started woodworking about 13yrs ago with great results. Parallel clamps are nice but I still think there is too much emphasis on them, if you have good fitting jointery the clamps are just holding it; just my 2 cents.

Nate

So, I was browsing the Peachtree catalog, and saw that they have parallel clamps that are similar to the Bessey clamps, but are $12 cheaper for the same 30" length. So the question is...has anyone used or have experience with the Peachtree "brand" clamps, like the parallel clamps or the BigFoot bar clamps? I'd like to add a few of these to my ever growing collection of clamps. All of the clamps I have now are Bessey, but I'm wondering if it's really worth the additional $12 for the Bessey name.

Thanks in advance.

just food for thought, bessey makes plastic blocks that turn your bessey bar clamps into parallel clamps. i believe they can be found on the rockler website. probably elsewhere too. if im stating the obvious here and missing the point, just ignore me.

I picked up a four, 12" Peachtree parallel clamps a couple years ago. They are light weight clamps, have small diameter handles, and cannot provide the force I get from my Bessey clamps. I use them for when I just need light clamping pressure. The clamps on their website look different from what I got, so I can't tell if they will be the same light weight clamps I received.

Since I picked up a few Bessey clamps, I hardly use my pipe clamps anymore. Where the pipe clamps were allowing the panels to bow because of the screw position, the parallel clamps do keep things straight. It's less work doing a glue up now.

Good luck,

Doug

just food for thought, bessey makes plastic blocks that turn your bessey bar clamps into parallel clamps. i believe they can be found on the rockler website. probably elsewhere too. if im stating the obvious here and missing the point, just ignore me.

No, you're not stating the obvious. I just want to add to my collection of clamps. My F clamps are very useful, and I have quite a few of them already, but I've found myself doing more glue-ups that require a wider clamping surface area than the bar clamps allow, and I only have a few cauls, so I was wanting to add some parallel clamps to my collection, and since they tend to be rather expensive, I was curious about how the lower cost options held up or performed over time.

I picked up a four, 12" Peachtree parallel clamps a couple years ago. They are light weight clamps, have small diameter handles, and cannot provide the force I get from my Bessey clamps. I use them for when I just need light clamping pressure. The clamps on their website look different from what I got, so I can't tell if they will be the same light weight clamps I received.

Since I picked up a few Bessey clamps, I hardly use my pipe clamps anymore. Where the pipe clamps were allowing the panels to bow because of the screw position, the parallel clamps do keep things straight. It's less work doing a glue up now.

Good luck,

Doug

Thanks, Doug. That's kind of the problem I have now with the bar clamps. When doing panel glue-ups, I have to apply both vertical and horizontal pressure to keep the panels from bowing, which uses almost every clamp I have for larger glue-ups. So, in the interest of making life a little easier, I'm exploring the other options available.

I'll probably be in the minority here but, I have a set of both jorgensen and bessey parallell clamps but like the pipe clamps better both from a functional and price standpoint (mostly price). If you would have asked 2 years ago I would have went the other way. The biggest change I think is paying more attention to my joinery which moved clamping from pulling things together to just holding them.

Keith

I bought "Woodcraft" brand parallel clamps years ago and while they do the job, they're a pain to operate. I won't buy anything but Bessey again.

Also, I prefer parallel clamps because many times I can avoid having to use cauls and am more assured that I'm not loading a piece with eccentric forces.

Yeah, well I guess I'll have to start bringing my stock to your shop to mill. :) I usually get pretty good joints, but for panels and such, it always seems I get 98% there, but then have to use pressure to get the rest of the way. I'm sure that will change once my bench is finished. Right now I'm makeshift, and that makes everything more difficult.

I'll probably be in the minority here but, I have a set of both jorgensen and bessey parallell clamps but like the pipe clamps better both from a functional and price standpoint (mostly price). If you would have asked 2 years ago I would have went the other way. The biggest change I think is paying more attention to my joinery which moved clamping from pulling things together to just holding them.

Keith

I kind of wondered if you couldn't just drill a couple holes in the pipe clamp's "clamping" surface, and mount something like 1.5" mdf or a piece of hardwood to give more surface area for panels and such. I had thought about experimenting w/ that...but I'm kinda poor, so I'm not yet at a point where I can just randomly test "theories". :)

Not to worry. Using cauls can accomplish the same thing as parallel clamps. The force from a clamp spreads at 45'. That will tell you how thick your caul needs to be for the number of clamps you're using. The cauls will accomplish the same "squaring" as a parallel clamp, sort of (I've been known to use 1x8's for cauls because of a limited number of clamps).

• 2 weeks later...

Through Amazon yesterday, Peachtree had Bessey 24"s around $30, while everyone else (including Amazon) is around $40. Not sure if that's a limited time special or not, but I picked up a pair of 'em.

Thanks in advance.

Through Amazon yesterday, Peachtree had Bessey 24"s around $30, while everyone else (including Amazon) is around $40. Not sure if that's a limited time special or not, but I picked up a pair of 'em.

Yeah, I was on the road all day yesterday, so I missed the Peachtree sale. :( Looks like I'll be starting a new job soon w/ a 50% increase in pay, though, so I guess I can wait a couple more months. :)

No experience with the Peachtree clamps, but I do own Jet and Bessey parallel bar clamps. I find the Jets to be much nicer to operate - I like the clutch plate that allows the clamping head to be positioned somewhere where it will stay.

I hadn't considered the Jet clamps, but that's good to know. Is there a particular place you purchase them from?

Well, unfortunately Jet clamps aren't available North of the border where I live, so I had to carry them back with me on the plane. I got a good deal at a woodshow last year.

Shouldn't it be possible to buy from Amazon.com (not .ca) and ship them that way? I'm pretty sure I've sent stuff to my family from amazon.com in the past and they're up in Canada. I've always been surprised at how weak amazon.ca is, given how strong amazon.com is.

Speaking of bringing them back, last time I was visiting my folks, I picked up some brass rods from Lee Valley and put them in my checked baggage. Needless to say that was a fun interview at the Ottawa airport :).

Shouldn't it be possible to buy from Amazon.com (not .ca) and ship them that way? I'm pretty sure I've sent stuff to my family from amazon.com in the past and they're up in Canada. I've always been surprised at how weak amazon.ca is, given how strong amazon.com is.

Speaking of bringing them back, last time I was visiting my folks, I picked up some brass rods from Lee Valley and put them in my checked baggage. Needless to say that was a fun interview at the Ottawa airport :).

I just tried ordering a pair of Jet 24" parallel bar clamps from Amazon.COM, but got this message when I selected by BC shipping address:

>>>Important Message

Jet 70424-2 24-Inch Parallel Clamp 2 Pack cannot be shipped to the selected address.<<<

When I go through customs, it's always fun explaining what I'm bringing back. I never know whether to tell them exactly what I'm bringing back, or dummy it down so that the layperson can understand. Believe it or not, I had a hard time explaining what was in the boxes containing the Jet clamps.

Security: "What's in the box?"

Me: "Jet parallel bar clamps"

Security: "What?

Me: "Um, a pair of clamps."

Security: "Clamps?"

Me: "Yes, clamps."

Security: "Clamps?"

Me: "Yes. For woodworking."

Security: "What are they for?"

Me: "For clamping things together."

Security: "What are they for?"

Me: "Woodworking."

Security: "Are they all yours?"

Me: "Yes"

Security: "Okay."

I'd like to chuck my two cents in.

I think pipe clamps with cawls can actually provide more clamping force than a pair of besseys. That being said, why the heck do you need that much force?

I agree with whom ever said the Jet clamps are even better than the besseys. But I would take either. My opinion is you can never have too many clamps. So get all kinds and all sizes.

I actually bought 2 8' long besseys and 2 7' long besseys when the Woodsmith Store near my house was getting rid of them to make room for the "New" Besseys. (I think they were like 15 bucks each?) They were dirt cheap so I assumed nobody but me wanted them. I've used them twice. Both times while building Murphy Beds so I figure it was a great deal. Besides they look awesome hanging in my shop.

I actually bought 2 8' long besseys and 2 7' long besseys when the Woodsmith Store near my house was getting rid of them to make room for the "New" Besseys. (I think they were like 15 bucks each?) They were dirt cheap so I assumed nobody but me wanted them. I've used them twice. Both times while building Murphy Beds so I figure it was a great deal.

$15 each, for 8' Besseys?!?!

Wow, that is the deal of the century. I don't think any of my great deals can hold a candle to that. You should have bought more. By the way, I like the old Besseys better than the new ones, but still prefer the Jets. I have a pair of the 84" Besseys and they are really useful for bed frames, but haven't found any other uses yet!

Back when Peachtree sold Parallel Pro clamps, I bought 4 60" clamps for $100 so you got a deal. I've used those long ones waaay more often than I expected and in fact will need them this weekend for some changes to existing cabinets. Also great for gluing up drawers... 2 to a set of clamps.

$15 each, for 8' Besseys?!?!

Wow, that is the deal of the century. I don't think any of my great deals can hold a candle to that. You should have bought more. By the way, I like the old Besseys better than the new ones, but still prefer the Jets. I have a pair of the 84" Besseys and they are really useful for bed frames, but haven't found any other uses yet!

yeah, it was an awesome deal. I would have bought more, but that was all they had at that price. They had the "newer" Besseys for normal price, but I bought all they had at this price.

By the way, you are right. I've used them on Murphy beds and once to be an extra set of "hands" as I mounted a fence on my table saw, but that's about it. Again, they look cool in the shop though.