Concrete Router Table Top?

John Page

• 7 years later...

Hi John,

I have toyed with making a concrete Router Table for almost 10 years and am setting up to pour one. I have a question though, how did you put the T-Track in? I'm planned on putting it in the mold, sealing it to keep cement from getting inside. My concern is, will the concrete (5,000 psi Quickcrete for countertops) hold the T-Track pieces from moving? 
Thank you in advance,
John C.

54 minutes ago, koja1 said:

Hi John,

I have toyed with making a concrete Router Table for almost 10 years and am setting up to pour one. I have a question though, how did you put the T-Track in? I'm planned on putting it in the mold, sealing it to keep cement from getting inside. My concern is, will the concrete (5,000 psi Quickcrete for countertops) hold the T-Track pieces from moving? 
Thank you in advance,
John C.

This thread is 7 years old and the OP hasn't visited the forum in over 5 years, so your unlikely to hear back.

11 hours ago, koja1 said:

Hi John,

Thank you in advance,
John C.

Rough up the outside of the T track with some sand paper to provide some tooth and it's likely the concrete will grab it and hold it in place. Concrete isn't the greatest adhesive but it's high compressive strength and ability to mold to shapes usually allows it to hold stuff in place quite well.

If they come out you can always epoxy them in after the fact. Epoxy usually adheres to concrete and aluminum well.

Worst case you could always drill holes through and use flat head machine screws to hold the track in place.

• Like 1

Just a word of caution, concrete and aluminum to not get along well at all, with aluminum being the loser every time. Running aluminum conduit in concrete is against code, but one job in a high rise condo had some in the slab and it was completely rotted through where it came out of the slab. This was not a slab on grade, but in a completely dry environment 20+ stories up.

• Like 2

Oh yeah didn't think of that.... yeah don't mix aluminum and concrete.

Come tot hink of it what benefit does concrete have for a router table top? MDF or melamine would be cheaper, easier to make and use, flatter and more accurate, and probably more durable in the long run.

As I've said MANY times to home owners, there are 2 types of concrete pavement. Concrete pavement that has cracked and concrete pavement that is going to crack.

On 9/2/2022 at 6:45 AM, drzaius said:

Concrete counter tops are a romantic notion that doesn't really hold up in reality

I think in the DYI realm this is true but I had a brother in law that was an architect and we went to his trade show a few times.  We saw some really nice looking countertops that were a surprise to find out they were concrete.  Most companies were using recycled concrete a long with other recycled materials.

On 9/2/2022 at 8:30 AM, Chet said:

I think in the DYI realm this is true but I had a brother in law that was an architect and we went to his trade show a few times.  We saw some really nice looking countertops that were a surprise to find out they were concrete.  Most companies were using recycled concrete a long with other recycled materials.

It's not so much the initial installation/look that concerns me with concrete countertops... It's 2-5-10 years down the line.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...