Any use for this in a woodshop?

woodmang

I got this for free at an auction a few years back and it has been collecting dust / taking up space in my shop ever since. I thought it was kind of cool and had plans to remake the bottoms of the shelves in hardboard to use them for light storage of some kind (the drawers are on slides). I doubt it could hold much weight.

Any ideas what this could be used for in a woodshop, or should I just get rid of it?

post-7495-0-64330100-1433091936_thumb.jp

Cans of finish, fasteners, sandpaper, sawdust? Personally I like the cans of finish idea, but mostly cause mine is scattered all over the shop.

Collin, good idea, however I would worry about the weight of all that. These drawers / the frame is pretty flimsy as it used to hold cigarettes for sale.

Hmm, a piece of plywood screwed to the bottom of the shelves would fix that, and maybe some 45* brackets for the top and bottom to stiffen things up? Of course you could haul it off for scrap, I can't tell you how many things I pulled out of my workshop and scrapped because they took up to much room and I had no use for them, a few bigger items I sold but a lot of the flimsy sheet metal shelves went to the scrap yard.

I would use it to fill my garbage bin. Looks pretty flimsy. You could build something from scratch much stronger and built to suit your exact needs.

I wouldn't have much use for it either -shop space is valuable!

I'm starting to lean that way. I could save the light up protion and build it into something else...then again I could just build a slimmer version of that too..

• Like 1

I love the varied responses from this group. Someone will validate your idea and someone else will hate it. Every one of us has a different perspective but what is really cool are the ones who think outside the box and throw out crazy ideas like a smoker.

So... I gathered that you like the lighted advertising part of the cabinet. That's probably what made you buy it in the first place. How about using it for a display cabinet?

A little paint and maybe some wood trim and it would look pretty good in a rec room or a man cave displaying just about anything. But I can't stop thinking about some good smoked brisket...

target practice with my Colt officers 45 ACP, then Remington 870 12 gauge till it's dead, then burn pile

It would be good for that, nice and tall!

Clean it good, make a new picture and put it on Craigslist. Take the money and buy a sheet of 3/4 ply and you are on your way to a nice storage unit.

I wondered if there would be a market for it there or not...good suggestion!

With the small footprint it commands, I would keep it and use it. Finishing supplies, clean rag box, safety gear, fire extinguisher. . I'm sure I could fill it easily with stuff I don't need at arms width.

That was my thought as well. It could most likely handle light stuff, supplies are a good idea!

clean it. build a door.  and turn it in to a meat smoker

that or an anchor

Seems a bit flamable for that, one time use I would presume! mmmm Smoked meat!

mmm... Smoked meat

Agreed!

I love the varied responses from this group. Someone will validate your idea and someone else will hate it. Every one of us has a different perspective but what is really cool are the ones who think outside the box and throw out crazy ideas like a smoker.

So... I gathered that you like the lighted advertising part of the cabinet. That's probably what made you buy it in the first place. How about using it for a display cabinet?

A little paint and maybe some wood trim and it would look pretty good in a rec room or a man cave displaying just about anything. But I can't stop thinking about some good smoked brisket...

That's why I come here :) You just never know what you will find!

That's not a bad idea, the display cabinet...it is lighted after all!

Combined Battery charging station and forstner/router/drill bits storage. Or just keep the sliding hardware, trash the rest.

I had thought about that as well, just keeping the hardware. Thanks for the suggestion!