Im officially filterless

shaneymack

Bought a cyclone that does a crap job of actually seperating. Got sick of having to waste a bunch of time cleaning the filter. Here is the solution;

post-16857-14362262387_thumb.jpg

Outside, the big one next to dryer vent;

post-16857-143622627087_thumb.jpg

What a difference. Waaaaay more suction and waaaaay less noise. I didnt think it would make that big of a difference. Really happy with it. Not sure i will feel the same when its -30c outside but we will see.....

I live in an area where I could easily do this and I have been thinking of doing the same thing for a long time.  Just curious, how much sawdust is actually being exhausted?  Are you seeing any accumulation under the vent?  I don't have a cyclone now but that would be part of my DC upgrade.  What cyclone/motor did you end up going with and are you happy with its performance?

Jim

Dang. Sometimes I wish I didn't live in the burbs.

Sometimes?

Yeah Shane, that's how I'm set up, too.  It does suck the air out of the shop but I find the temp bounces back fairly quickly except in extreme heat or cold.  Insulate well and get a good source of AC/heat.

We're hobbyists...how often do we run our machines and DC for more than ten minutes or so at a time?  The vast majority of my time in the shop I'm setting up for the next move, cleaning up from the previous one, wandering aimlessly, scrolling through my ipod and deciding what to listen to, picking my nose, scratching my ass...

And if you find it gets too cold after a DC session...go in the house for a few minutes, have a coffee, torture the kids a little...it'll be back to warm in no time.

Jim - if you have a decent cyclone, very little dust actually escapes.  I've watched it exhaust as I've run the drum sander before...a few particles for sure, but nothing to get in a twist over.  If you can get away with it in your neighborhood, it's a no-brainer IMO.

I live in an area where I could easily do this and I have been thinking of doing the same thing for a long time. Just curious, how much sawdust is actually being exhausted? Are you seeing any accumulation under the vent? I don't have a cyclone now but that would be part of my DC upgrade. What cyclone/motor did you end up going with and are you happy with its performance?

Jim

I was so excited about the new setup that i stayed up late milling some lumber. I cannot see an accumulation under the exterior vent.

I got an oneida v system which is crap if not vented outside. Separation was terrible and so is their customer service. With every full drum of sawdust my filter was caked with fine dust and they said it was perfectly normal and that maybe i should change my filter, filter is 3 months old!... If i did it again i would get a clearvue.

Now that it is vented outside it could suck up a cat. I still cannot believe the difference it made in noise reduction and suction.

Sometimes?

Yeah Shane, that's how I'm set up, too. It does suck the air out of the shop but I find the temp bounces back fairly quickly except in extreme heat or cold. Insulate well and get a good source of AC/heat.

We're hobbyists...how often do we run our machines and DC for more than ten minutes or so at a time? The vast majority of my time in the shop I'm setting up for the next move, cleaning up from the previous one, wandering aimlessly, scrolling through my ipod and deciding what to listen to, picking my nose, scratching my ass...

And if you find it gets too cold after a DC session...go in the house for a few minutes, have a coffee, torture the kids a little...it'll be back to warm in no time.

Jim - if you have a decent cyclone, very little dust actually escapes. I've watched it exhaust as I've run the drum sander before...a few particles for sure, but nothing to get in a twist over. If you can get away with it in your neighborhood, it's a no-brainer IMO.

I agree with you fully. Im sure it wont be a problem. My house is normally around 29c in the winter due to the wood burning stove. I could mill up some lumber and when done, simply open the door to the house to re heat the garage.

And definitely alot of wandering aimlessely and ass scratching in my shop as well. Sounds like we got alot in common.....

Nice. I actually considered, for about 30 minutes, going this route but instead filtering it into my crawl space and then placing a vent fan out of the crawl space to the rest of the atmosphere. Figured I'd get in trouble with the boss about blowing dust under the house which would certainly end up in the house.

Nice. I actually considered, for about 30 minutes, going this route but instead filtering it into my crawl space and then placing a vent fan out of the crawl space to the rest of the atmosphere. Figured I'd get in trouble with the boss about blowing dust under the house which would certainly end up in the house.

Why did you go through the crawl space? Your shop is still in negative pressure and needs return air.

Why did you go through the crawl space? Your shop is still in negative pressure and needs return air.

I didn't actually do it, instead put in a Jet single stage vs Cyclone two stage system in. However, the single stage is now in a room next to my garage shop and i crack a window in the shop when i have the collector running to address the negative pressure. 

• Like 1

I use the super dust deputy from Oneida on top of a 44 gallon drum. Pulled a 2 horse dust extractor apart and vented straight outside. Ran a meter on my inlets and instead of 1200 cfm I have 4000cfm. I also have a bathroom vent (stainless steel) that the louvers open by the air pressure against it. Couldn't be happier. Well done!

I use the super dust deputy from Oneida on top of a 44 gallon drum. Pulled a 2 horse dust extractor apart and vented straight outside. Ran a meter on my inlets and instead of 1200 cfm I have 4000cfm. I also have a bathroom vent (stainless steel) that the louvers open by the air pressure against it. Couldn't be happier. Well done!

So if i understand correctly Dave, we have a similar setup? Im not sure how much cfm im getting but it is unbelievable how much stronger the system is now compared to with the filter on.

I've thought about doing this but so far my Grizzly hasn't got much dust in the filter or bag. It does have a brush where you can clean the filter by pulling on a rope.

Sounds like your machine is alot better than mine! The very first time i changed the 40g drum i checked the filter and it was jammed with dust. I sent pictures to oneida and they told me it was totally normal. The girl also said maybe i should change my filter...my one month old filter. Out of every tool company ive every dealt with, they were by far the worst. Lagunas customer service is world class compared to them.

All to say, i got stuck with a piece of crap but venting it outside made it fantastic.

Sounds like your machine is alot better than mine! The very first time i changed the 40g drum i checked the filter and it was jammed with dust. I sent pictures to oneida and they told me it was totally normal. The girl also said maybe i should change my filter...my one month old filter. Out of every tool company ive every dealt with, they were by far the worst. Lagunas customer service is world class compared to them.

All to say, i got stuck with a piece of crap but venting it outside made it fantastic.

I have a 55g drum and have emptied about 10 times so far. I get very little in the bag below the filter. I went out there and pulled the filter cleaner rope 3 times and not a lot dropped. Here is what the filter bag looks like after 10 drum empties and looks like most is ending up in the drum.

post-8178-143672005284_thumb.jpg